» Active Discussions
Computer Geeks
No Threads to Display.
» Other Websites
- Software Publishing

- Server Hardening

Old 02-20-2008, 12:24 AM
GB Newbie

Exclamation Can anyone help me deleting my files?!

one day, while I was working on my computer, my operating system crashed!! but well, I have backed my system up, and I knew I can restore it in 5 minutes... but the problem was that I had some important files on drive C: (my system drive) which I will have to delete then restore! [I know I can repair my system.. but I knew it won't be satisfying for me]...
so I grabbed my Knoppix CD (Live Linux, it allows me to run Linux from the CD, no HDD required) and inserted it in my CD drive... well, to make a long story short, I accessed my Hard drive and moved my important files to other drives than drive C: and proceeded with restoring my system (which is Windows XP SP3) but as soon as I log-into my system and went to check the files I moved, I found out that some of them had been renamed and had question marks in their names!! You know that we can't add any question marks to file names on Windows! I didn't know how that happened!! [Please Check attached snapshots]
so when I tried to rename the files I failed.... I ran Knoppix AGAIN and tried to rename or remove them from there and I failed!! I tried to use DOS to remove the directories that contain the files and I FAILED too!!
Thanking god, these files that I wanna get rid of are not so important to me, they're just taking some space...... is there anyway to remove these files without having to Format the partition that have them?? can I even rename them? Any help would be much appreciated...

Old 06-08-2009, 10:59 AM
GB Newbie

You better use DOS mode incering a windows 98 CD and boot from it and use the dos command to delete the file. Have you tried with total commander? It might work in this case. But the best way would be to remove all necessary files from that drive and to format.
Old 06-27-2009, 10:31 AM
GB Newbie

Default File edit, creation, copying, moving, deleting, ... with biterscripting

Definitely use biterscripting ( http://www.biterscripting.com ) . It will help you hone in into a very specific set of files you are looking for. Also, it will work on any Windows version, in DOS mode and in safe mode.

Patrick
Old 11-30-2009, 12:39 AM
GB Newbie

you better try removing these files from DOS mode press f8 booting starts this will take you to advance start up options there select safe mode with command prompt option from there you will be able to rename your files.