Linux Chat

Building Websites

Computer Forums

Computer Help Forum

Computer Hardware Forum

Computer Software Programs

Go Back   Computer Forums > Geek Stuff
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Geek Stuff General forum for discussing anything geek. If your topic doesn't fit in any of the other forums then post it here.

Computer Geeks
» Active Discussions
Computer Geeks
No Threads to Display.
» Other Websites
- Software Publishing

- Server Hardening

Old 12-05-2008, 02:50 PM
GB Newbie

Default Do you believe in aliens?

There are scientists and people out there who believe many myths behind extra-terrestrials. So I just want to know if YOU believe in aliens. Do you think there are life forms living on other planets? Are reports of alien sightings genuine? Or are people letting their imaginations run wild? These are the questions that have been bothering me lately.
Old 12-06-2008, 09:14 AM
GB Newbie

Well I do believe that we are not alone in this universe. Our universe is made up of millions of galaxy’s out there. Are we so certain that we are the only ones who have a living planet as home? I don’t think so. I know that millions of miles out there, there are other planets the same as ours, and other inhabitants living on it.
Old 12-08-2008, 02:57 PM
GB Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfritz View Post
Are reports of alien sightings genuine? Or are people letting their imaginations run wild? These are the questions that have been bothering me lately.
Did you know that there are many people (and some who work in the government) who want the government to come clean about what they know about UFOs? I heard about the "Million Fax on Washington" project a couple months ago. It's goal is to pressure President-elect Obama to have UFO disclosure in 2009, which would put these questions to rest with governmental acknowledgment of UFOs.
Old 12-08-2008, 04:27 PM
GB Newbie

Sure I believe that there are ETs, the Universe is so huge it wouldn't make sense if they didn't exist. I mean, we don't even understand dark matter yet, which makes up a big bulk of space. I don't know if I'll see an alien in my lifetime, but it wouldn't surprise me if it happened.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:45 PM
GB Newbie

Larry King did his New Year's Eve show on a UFO debate, which was pretty lively, but too short given the subject matter. In general we can see a trend to cover this topic more heavily, it seems to be getting much more media attention than in years before.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:46 PM
GB Newbie

It's easy for me to believe that there is life on other planets. It's even easy for me to believe that there is what we consider "intelligent life" on other planets. What I have trouble fathoming, however, is that said life can fly all around space and visit us, or even want to fly around space and visit us. With that kind of technology, I'm sure the "aliens" would be up to bigger and better things than spying on some earthlings.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:10 AM
GB Beginner

I think it's ignorant to believe that we are the only planet in the universe with life. Just like Jodie Foster said in Contact, if it were true it would be a big waste of space.
Old 04-01-2009, 03:56 AM
GB Beginner

yes, ignorant, trust in the Lord and his words and wisdom. I do not believe in alien.

Last edited by fast1; 04-01-2009 at 03:57 AM. Reason: add words
Old 04-01-2009, 10:34 AM
GB Newbie

I think it's very probable that there are other intelligent lifeforms in the universe. I remember a few weeks ago there was an article out, saying how there are more Earth-like planets than we had originally predicted. The chances seem too slim that we are alone. But we still don't have conclusive proof from our government.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:25 PM
Administrator
GB Admin
GB GEEK

Back when I was in college one of my professors covered this topic as part of the class. One aspect we discussed was the likelihood of life on other planets based on probability of what we already know or can approximate.

I do not remember the specific numbers, but it basically we gathered data that approximated the number of planets in the universe. Then used probability to determine the number of planets that might be in the right place in their solar system with the necessary star, etc.

After that, we took the periodic table of the elements and determined the random probability that there would be a mix of the elements that could sustain life as we know it.

After that, it was just a matter of applying our probability to the number of planets..... the resulting number just based on probability was quite large. I'm not certain, but I think the final number (based on random probability calculations) was 50,000 planets in the universe that have the right mix for supporting life as we understand it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomprecision View Post
Did you know that there are many people (and some who work in the government) who want the government to come clean about what they know about UFOs? I heard about the "Million Fax on Washington" project a couple months ago. It's goal is to pressure President-elect Obama to have UFO disclosure in 2009, which would put these questions to rest with governmental acknowledgment of UFOs.
I've read that the British government is in the process of releasing all of their official UFO related research. They already began the process, but I think they still have quite a lot of info that will be released in the very near future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomprecision View Post
Larry King did his New Year's Eve show on a UFO debate, which was pretty lively, but too short given the subject matter. In general we can see a trend to cover this topic more heavily, it seems to be getting much more media attention than in years before.
I watched that show. It was really interesting. You're right that it was too short.