Computer Gaming

Linux Chat

Building Websites

Computer Forums

Computer Help Forum

Computer Hardware Forum

Computer Software Programs

Go Back   Computer Forums > Geek Stuff

Geek Stuff General forum for discussing anything geek. If your topic doesn't fit in any of the other forums then post it here.

Computer Geeks
» Active Discussions
Computer Geeks
No Threads to Display.
» Other Websites
- Software Publishing

- Server Hardening

Old 12-08-2008, 04:30 PM
GB Newbie

While I'm all for celebrity exposure and government support, I still have doubts as to how much can be done as long as we are a corporate capitalist society. I mean, years ago there was a good electric car on the market, by GM I believe. And then without any reason the company recalled all the cars and destroyed them (it's in the movie, "Who Killed the Electric Car?"). And we citizens are powerless over this. So I try to stay hopeful, but it's hard at times.
Old 12-11-2008, 01:04 PM
GB Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by filterstb View Post
While I'm all for celebrity exposure and government support, I still have doubts as to how much can be done as long as we are a corporate capitalist society. I mean, years ago there was a good electric car on the market, by GM I believe. And then without any reason the company recalled all the cars and destroyed them (it's in the movie, "Who Killed the Electric Car?"). And we citizens are powerless over this. So I try to stay hopeful, but it's hard at times.
It seems that one of the best ways to bring both the government and citizens to action is through our country's spokespeople (which are unfortunately celebrities). As long as celebs and the media continue to question whether or not we are doing our best, these issues will remain in the spotlight, and hopefully be addressed. If we can truly revolutionize the auto industry, then I think a giant step will be made.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:01 PM
GB Newbie

Global warming is cause of the depletion of our ozone layer. It causes buy CFC from our spraynet and also it also results the El Nino and La NIna so if were not going to help conserve our environment surely we will pay for the consequences later.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:02 AM
GB Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by truepath View Post
It seems that one of the best ways to bring both the government and citizens to action is through our country's spokespeople (which are unfortunately celebrities). As long as celebs and the media continue to question whether or not we are doing our best, these issues will remain in the spotlight, and hopefully be addressed. If we can truly revolutionize the auto industry, then I think a giant step will be made.
Brad Pitt is on the cover of Architectural Digest...the pictures for that article are great, man, these new houses in New Orleans are the way all houses should be, safe, off the grid, and pleasant to look at. Hopefully that will reach a lot of people who are in the business. Yeah, I agree, we need the celebrities to keep this issues in the spotlight.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:12 PM
GB Newbie

I think that celebrity involvement is key in getting people motivated to do something about the situation. I mean, normally people are more concerned with football, sitcoms, or the latest movie or celeb gossip...it's everywhere. Since those celebrities already have our attention, they can use that opportunity to talk about what's important for us to learn about, like global warming.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:00 PM
GB Newbie

I read something unsettling today...that running two Google searches is the equivalent of boiling water for a cup of tea. Does the internet really consume that much energy? I think this another reason to find alternative energy sources...we can't just unplug the internet without compromising our economy and much more.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:48 PM
Administrator
GB Admin
GB GEEK

The thing about two Google searches using enough energy to boil a cup of tea probably is at least partly due to Google's supposed use of commodity hardware. From what I understand, Google uses a ton of cheap commodity computer hardware for powering their system. Their software is what is key to their whole operation. But, the drawback from using cheap commodity type hardware, especially if it's older hardware, is that it is nowhere near as energy efficient as newer hardware.

Also, Google's index is so huge that is probably takes a large number of hard drives. So figure that one single search likely sends dozens, or many dozens, of hard drives spinning and seeking to find that right data. Add in processors and other components as well as cooling and you have yourself a fairly energy intensive search.
Old 06-14-2009, 03:50 PM
GB Beginner

The climate is changing. The earth is warming up, and there is now overwhelming scientific consensus that it is happening, and human-induced. Many are agreed that climate change may be one of the greatest threats facing the planet.
Old 10-23-2011, 12:41 PM
GB Newbie

Let me start this and we can see how many ideas that we can got to save our planet,
  1. Set your thermostat a few degrees lower in the winter and a few degrees higher in the summer to save on heating and cooling costs.
  2. Install compact fluorescent led tube lights (CFLs) when your older incandescent bulbs burn out.
  3. Unplug appliances when you're not using them. Or, use a "smart" power strip that senses when appliances are off and cuts "phantom" or "vampire" energy use.
  4. Wash clothes in cold water whenever possible. As much as 85 percent of the energy used to machine-wash clothes goes to heating the water.
  5. Take shorter showers to reduce water use. This will lower your water and heating bills too.

Last edited by reilly12; 09-03-2012 at 04:59 AM.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:25 AM
GB Beginner

We should start going green now and stop throwing plastic elsewhere.