Linux Chat

Building Websites

Computer Forums

Computer Help Forum

Computer Hardware Forum

Computer Software Programs

Go Back   Computer Forums > Geek Stuff
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Geek Stuff General forum for discussing anything geek. If your topic doesn't fit in any of the other forums then post it here.

Computer Geeks
» Active Discussions
Computer Geeks
No Threads to Display.
» Other Websites
- Software Publishing

- Server Hardening

Old 02-24-2006, 10:08 AM
GB Newbie

Default Router vs Lan?

Recently have just brought another computer (5 + 1laptop) and my lan (hub) has now filled up all 5 of its ports. I'm looking to invest in more laptops and computers in the comming future.

Not sure wether to stick with the lan and buy a 10 port or to move onto a 10 port router. I'm not sure about the difference in performance, only thing i know is router allows all computers to be online aslong as theres power in the router. With a lan once the host computer is down all the others are down to.

Help me out !
Old 02-24-2006, 10:19 AM
GB Newbie

I peffer connecting to a lan line, because its better for playing games. With my routor its slow and i dont get a very strong signal up in my bedroom
Old 02-24-2006, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator
GB Advanced User

I sure hope you have a switch and not a hub and are just referring to it as a hub. While hubs do work they are not very efficient, you will get constant network congestion, especially while playing games due to the amount of data being sent at one given time.

You can connect another switch to your existing network using a uplink port or if it doesn't have an uplink port you can use a crossover cable. There are very few routers out there with more then 6 LAN ports, I would recommend if your looking for more ports to get a switch and do what I mentioned above.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:20 AM
GB Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by QBall15j
I sure hope you have a switch and not a hub and are just referring to it as a hub. While hubs do work they are not very efficient, you will get constant network congestion, especially while playing games due to the amount of data being sent at one given time.

You can connect another switch to your existing network using a uplink port or if it doesn't have an uplink port you can use a crossover cable. There are very few routers out there with more then 6 LAN ports, I would recommend if your looking for more ports to get a switch and do what I mentioned above.
Yes, with my hub i can't seem to game very well when some1 on my lan is playing the game too, we can't seem to play the same CS / Starcraft games too.
Old 02-28-2006, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator
GB Advanced User

Ah, if your playing online most CS servers block multiple connections from the same IP.
Old 03-01-2006, 01:43 AM
GB Advanced User

its a good thing that you cant play CS I'd strongly recommend using a LAN line with a switch rather than a hub, routers are bad for gaming
Old 03-01-2006, 03:55 AM
Super Moderator
GB Advanced User

I would go as far as saying routers are bad, most off the shelf routers like Linksys, DLink, and Netgear have a LAN throughput way over what any game would use even during a multiplayer session over a LAN.
Old 03-01-2006, 11:33 AM
GB Newbie

I would go with the LAN also. It's much secure and faster. And your internet service provider can't know you are using many computers on the same account
Old 03-01-2006, 11:46 AM
GB Beginner

I have to agree with everyone else LAN is definately the way to go...but then again im a major VideoGame loser
Old 02-08-2008, 05:22 AM
GB Newbie

I would prefer to Lan is definitely better.