Computer Gaming

Linux Chat

Building Websites

Computer Forums

Computer Help Forum

Computer Hardware Forum

Computer Software Programs

Go Back   Computer Forums > Building Websites

Building Websites This section covers all aspects of publishing, developing and maintaining websites. Topics include: website design, graphic design, website programming, web hosting, website marketing (SEO, link exchange, publicity, advertising), monetization & etc.

Computer Geeks
» Active Discussions
Computer Geeks
No Threads to Display.
» Other Websites
- Software Publishing

- Server Hardening

Old 03-12-2006, 11:12 AM
GB Beginner

Default Backup Software...

Will you guys recommend me a back up software? I believe there is on in every cPanel, or depending on which company, a stock software that they will give you.

However, I'd like to have one that would possibly automatically back up onto my computer by itself without me having to touch it or do it manually...

Can someone recommend me one? Are these programs typically free?
Old 03-12-2006, 11:26 AM
GB GEEK

Send a message via MSN to Soulwatcher

Well backing up the server is free, cPanel already has this feature built in. All you have to do is set a cron job, at what ever time you want the server to make a backup. And the server will automatically make a back up for you.
Old 04-15-2006, 10:01 AM
GB Beginner

cpanel and most other control panels also have the ability to backup to a remote FTP server, so if your on a fixed IP, you could easily run your own server and have the backup automatically transfered to that server each night.

If your not on a fixed IP, then you would need a DDNS server, and to hope that the IP didn't change part way through transfering a backup. If your familier with perl, you could install that locallly, and have a perl script running on either a cron job or a scheduled task (depending on OS) to transfer the backup for you. But that would be very dependant on the access you have to your account. Perl can easily transfer files using scp. sftp or standard ftp with the correct CPAN modules installed.
Old 04-20-2006, 06:37 AM
GB Beginner

Send a message via AIM to LucnetSolutions Send a message via MSN to LucnetSolutions Send a message via Yahoo to LucnetSolutions

Yes, cPanel does have its own backup, but I like http://samba.anu.edu.au/rsync/ it is nice for keep a large load on your server down. It will only comy files that are new and not the same ones over and over.