Linux Chat

Building Websites

Computer Forums

Computer Help Forum

Computer Hardware Forum

Computer Software Programs

Go Back   Computer Forums > Geek Stuff
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Geek Stuff General forum for discussing anything geek. If your topic doesn't fit in any of the other forums then post it here.

Computer Geeks
» Active Discussions
Computer Geeks
No Threads to Display.
» Other Websites
- Software Publishing

- Server Hardening

Old 04-26-2007, 03:18 AM
Administrator
GB Admin
GB GEEK

Default Astronomers have discovered the most earthlike planet to date

Supposedly astronomers have discovered the most Earth-like planet to date. It's also in the habitable zone, meaning that there may be liquid water on the planet.

http://www.astronomy.com/asy/default.aspx?c=a&id=5471

Very interesting stuff. Especially with the likelihood of there being liquid water, which would be essential for life.

Too bad it's ~20 light years away and we don't yet have the technology to explore so far away within a reasonable time.

Maybe the world needs better research equipment so we can see what ET is up to...
Old 04-26-2007, 11:49 AM
Moderator ++
GB Guru

ET Short for Extra Terrestrial, Extra derived from the latin word extrus meaning outside. So there for it would be something outside the word terrestrial derived from the Latin word terrestris Meaning Earthly relating to earth.

So if extra means outer and terrestrial means earth then what does that make us though we are within earth atmosphere does not mean that we are inside earth we are just on the surfaces of earth?

Terrestrial could also mean earth like as the reference of solar terrestrial planets in reference to Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars and that "Dwarf Planet" Ceres. There is also extra solar terrestrial planets Pluto i think they are calling terrestrial. Whoops a little to in depth.

I guess i am just rambling on i was in astronomy in college. I also have some cool telescopes. I love astronomy.

ET is coming home

Blog<-- Read Me
Twitter<-- Follow Me
Facebook<-- Stalk Me

Old 04-26-2007, 01:00 PM
GB Beginner

Very interesting!

Wonder when we will learn to go into warp drive and get there or a worm hole which will enable us poor Earthlings to get there sooner than we could ever now?

I sure if a probe was sent now, we would all be moldy and oldy before it ever got there.

Oh well, maybe one of these days!
Old 04-26-2007, 03:40 PM
Moderator ++
GB Guru

Well i hear right now we are working on the "Starship Enterprise" I have heard that it will do about 9.5 on the warp drive. I am a big contributor to this project the Ship UI is written in PHP, Java, Javascript, Ajax, and C so it should be good to go in the next 20 years.

I have also seen that that they are doing up a winnebego on Pimp My RV that will do a least 7.5. But there are some bad people out there luke can not watch over us all the time besides the guald (IDK if its the right spelling) But jack O Neil will assist us on some of the missions.

Also at this moment there is a stargate in a secret base that the military watches over. There is all kinds of things that helps us in this journey. Oh we also have to watch out for the death star.

I have seen on tv that there is a game that will take you there i just never seen it on the shelves of stores just yet. According to the hitchhikers guide to the universe you need some towel? You never leave without the towel.

oh that should cover everything.

*** FYI I am not a avid watcher of Star Trek nor did i even like hitchhikers guide. all the others are ok and i will tolerate them ******

Blog<-- Read Me
Twitter<-- Follow Me
Facebook<-- Stalk Me

Old 04-27-2007, 12:08 AM
Administrator
GB Admin
GB GEEK

Yes, astronomy is awesome. If I did not have such a great interest in computers, I may have studied astronomy in college rather than computer science.

Maybe we should have an astronomy section here at GB? Could be interesting...

One of these days I plan to buy one of the new high tech telescopes where you can enter in the coordinates of what you want to look at. Well, I suppose doing it by hand is half the fun - but sometimes it's nice to just plug in the numbers, especially when little time is avail.

Chris, just curious, do you participate in the SETI@home project?
Old 04-27-2007, 01:31 AM
Moderator ++
GB Guru

No but seriously i did at one time but i lost interest (I added more about it at the bottom) i have however built my own telescope (I bought the mirrors) using a sono tube. The scope is a 12 inch dob. The view of the moon is brilliant i am still working on getting a ccd on it so i can get pictures from it. As of now it sits and a family members house in Arizona (I am 3 hours away from it) i have traveled the sky a few times.

I have way to many interest i am 28 and the course's i have put away

Astromony
Advanced Performance Engine Building
Advanced OBII diagnostics
Math
Science (Geology)
Medical Assisting (Vocational School)
Medical Office Management (Vocational School)
Computer Information Systems (CIS) <------| Microsoft
Advanced Computer Information Systems(CIS II) <------| Microsoft
And i have an Associates Degree in Occupational Science

All that and i only have 1 degree

Microsoft is useless to me now so that was a waste of time, it was a waste of time when i took it.

Science is my passion anything about it is good for me. I once had plans of building a satalite array using direct tv dishes had the plans and all 24 dishes even down to the diy controller then i lost interest in astronomy.

As an addon to the first part i also have an 8inch computer controlled and a 6 inch first scope. those are in a storage i live in an apartment and i have no room anymore.

Blog<-- Read Me
Twitter<-- Follow Me
Facebook<-- Stalk Me

Last edited by Chris; 04-27-2007 at 01:33 AM. Reason: I jump around subject to much added some notes
Old 04-28-2007, 02:24 PM
GB Beginner

Standing in a totally dark place on a clear night with no outside lights and gazing sky ward does two things for me!

It makes me feel very small and in awe of the wonderment and closer to God as many of us know him.

To gaze upward towards those little pricks of light and think that they are the same ones that so many navigated our little world using!

Still beleive that WE are not the only ones in the wide wide world of the universe!

Air Force Blue Book My Rear!