Linux Chat

Building Websites

Computer Forums

Computer Help Forum

Computer Hardware Forum

Computer Software Programs

Go Back   Computer Forums > Geek Stuff
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Geek Stuff General forum for discussing anything geek. If your topic doesn't fit in any of the other forums then post it here.

Computer Geeks
» Active Discussions
Computer Geeks
No Threads to Display.
» Other Websites
- Software Publishing

- Server Hardening

Old 04-19-2006, 04:26 AM
GB Advanced User

Default 301 redirect from banned-in-Google site

How does 301 redirect from banned-in-Google site affect the destination site? For example, suppose that yourSite1.com is banned in Google, and you redirect traffic coming to the domain yourSite2.com. Is there going to be any negative effect on yourSite2.com?
Old 04-19-2006, 05:11 AM
GB GEEK

Send a message via MSN to Soulwatcher

Well its hard to say, google only ban's for a reason. If the new website is serving the same content that the original website got banned for. Then my guess is that website is going to get banned too. I guess its going to depend on what the website was banned for.
Old 04-19-2006, 05:16 AM
GB Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulwatcher
Well its hard to say, google only ban's for a reason. If the new website is serving the same content that the original website got banned for. Then my guess is that website is going to get banned too. I guess its going to depend on what the website was banned for.
Suppose that the new site addresses problems. Google shouldn't have any problem then. Then what? How does 301 redirect from the banned site affect?
Old 04-19-2006, 05:33 AM
GB GEEK

As long as you fix the problems I don't think its going to have any effect. Just for a piece of mind I would use domain privacy just in case. Its only $2.00 through godaddy. That way they cant trace it back to you.
Old 04-19-2006, 05:38 AM
GB Advanced User

Quote:
That way they cant trace it back to you.
Actually they (Google) can because Google is a licensed domain registrar.
Old 04-19-2006, 05:46 AM
GB GEEK

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetanotherfcw
Actually they (Google) can because Google is a licensed domain registrar.
I cant see how if you pull the who is on this domain it come up with domain by proxy. You cant see who owns this website.
Old 04-19-2006, 05:47 AM
GB Beginner

As long as the new site does not have the same content problems, google will take no notice of the redirect. The reason they don't take notice is, imagine of I had a grudge against someone or was competing against their site. I could very easily register a domain with the contact details of the competing site. Then purposely get it banned from google. Redirecting this site to my competitor would then get them dropped by google.

That said, it would still be a black mark against the site, and would be counted in that respect. As long as it is not the only source of traffic for the new domain, you shuold be OK. I would, however, advise you to get the new domain listed in google before doing the redirect, and to ensure that it has some good, safe incoming links.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:46 AM
GB Advanced User

Quote:
I cant see how if you pull the who is on this domain it come up with domain by proxy. You cant see who owns this website.
"Whois" is for those who are not licensed registrar, i.e, most people/the general public. However, a licensed registrar like GoDaddy can look up who the domain owner is, even if the information is hidden from the general public. Since Google is a licensed registrar, they can find out who the domain owner is EVEN IF the information is hidden from the public.
Old 04-19-2006, 07:05 AM
GB GEEK

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetanotherfcw
"Whois" is for those who are not licensed registrar, i.e, most people/the general public. However, a licensed registrar like GoDaddy can look up who the domain owner is, even if the information is hidden from the general public. Since Google is a licensed registrar, they can find out who the domain owner is EVEN IF the information is hidden from the public.
Ah, I didn't know that. That kind of puts a wrench in the works. I would have a friend or family member register the new domain then. Chances are if they get a hint of you renaming the domain just to get around the ban. They may just ban you again.
Old 04-19-2006, 07:09 AM
GB Advanced User

Quote:
Ah, I didn't know that. That kind of puts a wrench in the works. I would have a friend or family member register the new domain then.
I don't know ...

1. I'd need to get that domain eventually ...

2. Domain owner should be me if I run any revenue sharing program like AdSense.

This is kind of tricky.