Linux Chat

Building Websites

Computer Forums

Computer Help Forum

Computer Hardware Forum

Computer Software Programs

Go Back   Computer Forums > Geek Stuff
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Geek Stuff General forum for discussing anything geek. If your topic doesn't fit in any of the other forums then post it here.

Computer Geeks
» Active Discussions
Computer Geeks
No Threads to Display.
» Other Websites
- Software Publishing

- Server Hardening

Old 04-22-2006, 07:28 PM
GB Guru

Default vBulletin Vs IPB

Well frankly speaking...

I searched for vBulletin on ebay and it didn't really give me any results...

And upon...If you really are interested in selling the liscence....I think if you want to sell a leased liscence...and it's your first time with selling vB liscence...I would go with the $79 one as you don't know whether you are really going to be able to sell it...

With the owned one...I prefer going with the $136 one...As if not eBay...other webmastering sites will take it happily as I have seen and unlike leased liscence...owned liscence gains attention
Old 04-23-2006, 04:01 PM
GB Advanced User

Well VBulliten is about 100 times better then IPB becuase if you are plaing to have a large forum you need to have VB because any other softwear will not allow you to manage it as you need.
Old 05-06-2006, 10:57 AM
GB Advanced User

I was a big fan of IPB till it stoped its free version. Today vBulletin is far more good than Invision Power Board. vBulletin is more good than IPB in pricing competition as well as in features.

I will never consider IPB when it comes to check the paid forum softwares. In free ones I like Simple Machines Forum and phpBB.
Old 05-06-2006, 04:51 PM
GB Advanced User

You are talking to a guy that has about 25 vBulletin and 0 IPB licenses. My vote goes to vBulletin.

I liked IPB back when it was free. It was a major contendor to the other free forum, phpBB. However, vBulletin was always the king of the paid forums. It kind of annoyed me when the free forum script decided to go paid. Maybe they needed money and everything, but the price went for the cheapest forum around to the most expensive. It passed vBulletin (which I think was a really bad move).

If you don't have the money, SMF and MyBB stepped up along with phpBB. If you have the money, vBulletin is cheaper. I don't see any features that IPB has that makes it worth getting over vBulletin. vBulletin is just good and cheaper. Plus, vBulletin has a lot of support, themes, and plugins available.

Another thing that really bothers me about IPB is their license plan. vBulletin lets you sell licenses (owned ones) and will verify them before they are sold. IPB quit the verification process. It's like they want you to buy a new one and won't support you unless you buy it from them. That's not the best customer service ever.
Old 05-13-2006, 08:47 PM
GB Advanced User

I used to be a IPB user, but I didn't really like their admin panel very much. All the forums that I own are phpBB, but heavilly modded. I am a moderator on a few vBulletin forums though, and I do like the way they work.

I'm seriously considering converting some of my forums to vB now.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:44 AM
GB Newbie

In my opinion, phpBB is the best forum software. It's easy, full featured, very customizable, and very popular.
Demo : free forums

Last edited by Vouibon; 02-24-2009 at 09:15 AM.