Computer Gaming

Linux Chat

Building Websites

Computer Forums

Computer Help Forum

Computer Hardware Forum

Computer Software Programs

Go Back   Computer Forums > Building Websites

Building Websites This section covers all aspects of publishing, developing and maintaining websites. Topics include: website design, graphic design, website programming, web hosting, website marketing (SEO, link exchange, publicity, advertising), monetization & etc.

Computer Geeks
» Active Discussions
Computer Geeks
No Threads to Display.
» Other Websites
- Software Publishing

- Server Hardening

Old 03-07-2006, 06:44 PM
GB Beginner

Default How did you learn about servers?

Do most of you guys have formal education in this field, or are you self taught?

Im considering taking a course, however I feel there is also so much free info online that I might be wasting my time paying for a course.

Opinions?
Old 03-07-2006, 07:42 PM
GB GEEK

Send a message via MSN to Soulwatcher

I am self taught, well sort of. I bought book after book and studied my but off. Then I started asking a ton of questions on various forums. After banging my head of the desk a million times. (just kidding ) It finally started to sink in. I bet I reformatted my first server 30+ times. You cant be afraid to mess something up. And if you do try and figure out what went wrong. Another good thing to remember if your server is giving you a error. There is a 999% chance that if you google the error your going to find a answer. If feel with all of the information available on line their really is no need to pay for a Linux coarse. Anything you want or need to know can be found out on the Internet.
Old 03-07-2006, 07:47 PM
Super Moderator
GB Advanced User

I am pretty much all self taught, only the past few years I've started taking IT training courses just for something extra to put on my resume. Nothing beats real world experience in my opinion but to an employer it's different.

From what I've seen offered, there's no specific course to running a webserver for say. You would need to take multiple courses which would overlap to get you to the point you want to be. Using online resources you should be able to get everything you need to get a webserver going.
Old 03-07-2006, 10:11 PM
GB Beginner

Send a message via AIM to Julian

My friend introduced it to me, at first i wasn't to fond of it, but then i kind of got into it. I am currently still learning but I'm learning fast on my own. Ronin how much is that class costing you if I may ask?
Old 03-09-2006, 02:42 PM
GB Beginner

Hopefully this Forum board will be able to help me out. Really, I'm just getting into this as a hobby, and hoping to yield some type of income...

I've been doing some self research, and to begin with, I've always been interested in the webhosting industry, and I figured why not join a forum board?

So here I am!
Old 03-09-2006, 03:31 PM
GB GEEK

Send a message via MSN to Soulwatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue
Hopefully this Forum board will be able to help me out. Really, I'm just getting into this as a hobby, and hoping to yield some type of income...
Well in this industry the sky is the limit. You can make as much or as little as you want to. I think allot of it has to do with devotion. You get what you put in back out. If you are the type who gives it 100% then your going to get 100% in return. If you give 10%, expect 10% in return.

I know of a guy with 6 forums and hes grossing over $100,000 per month. He also puts in 50hrs a week. Not everyone can expect to make $100k per month but you can make a decent living off the Internet. Personally if my wife and I didn't have to work at a real job for the rest of or lives. I would have reached my goal. Do I expect to reach this goal over night? The answer is "NO!" I have built a 5 year plan and hopefully at the end of the 5 years. My wife and I will be working from home. If it never happens then I will have had a hell of allot of fun along the way. Servers, Internet, and Forum posting is something I really enjoy. If your just in it for the money chances are your not going to succeed.