Computer Gaming

Linux Chat

Building Websites

Computer Forums

Computer Help Forum

Computer Hardware Forum

Computer Software Programs

Go Back   Computer Forums > Building Websites

Building Websites This section covers all aspects of publishing, developing and maintaining websites. Topics include: website design, graphic design, website programming, web hosting, website marketing (SEO, link exchange, publicity, advertising), monetization & etc.

Computer Geeks
» Active Discussions
Computer Geeks
No Threads to Display.
» Other Websites
- Software Publishing

- Server Hardening

Old 04-19-2006, 05:12 PM
GB Newbie

Default How much bandwidth?

Hello, I'm thinking about running a home server, but I don't have a T1 line or anything. At the moment, I use Comcast high speed cable internet. Any idea if that would provide enough bandwidth for a server? Also, does anyone know if Comcast allows you to run a server on their residential cable internet service?
Thanks
Tom
Old 04-19-2006, 07:29 PM
GB GEEK

Send a message via MSN to Soulwatcher

Hi Tomcat,

This very server is powered by a Comcast Cable Modem. But my cable modem is a business class cable modem. Comcast will allow you to run severs if you sign up for their business class cable modem with a static IP. I have the workplace standard and the speed is 6mbps down and 768kb/s up. And the price is $79.90 per month with tax. I don't know what type of website you plan to run. But just to give you a idea, last month I had a proxy website on my server. And on the best day it transfered 248k page views and 4.02GB of bandwidth in 14hrs. More than likely a cable modem powered home webserver will more than meet your needs. Comcast does not allow servers on their residential cable internet service, but I know a few people that have been running servers on their residential cable internet service for years.

Soulwatcher
Old 04-20-2006, 06:47 AM
GB Beginner

Send a message via AIM to LucnetSolutions Send a message via MSN to LucnetSolutions Send a message via Yahoo to LucnetSolutions

Yes, that would be enough for your own server at home. I have ran game server for games I like and have setup a website once. They all worked very well. I currently have Comcast Cable and I get 8 MB Download and 1 MB upload. It is very nice.

This also depends on which plan you have. If you have a lower speed this could effect it. I don't think you will have any trouble with it though.
Old 04-20-2006, 01:58 PM
GB Beginner

Default Yes

Iam running my webserver on 4028/768 adsl connection. Right now i never had any problems speed wise.. but i like to keep my network up and running so iam not planning on running a file or game server which can sometimes DoS your network.
Old 05-03-2006, 03:08 AM
GB Beginner

Im in the UK and use NTLWorld 2mbps Cable (Soon to be 10mbps )

I've had 3 servers running sites, teamspeak, shoutcast and games all at once and it was worked fine with little to no latency issues.
Old 05-07-2006, 09:25 AM
GB Beginner

2mbs upsteam = hot

and why did u have three systems? i mean combining shoutcast+TS+games should be feasable