Computer Gaming

Linux Chat

Building Websites

Computer Forums

Computer Help Forum

Computer Hardware Forum

Computer Software Programs

Go Back   Computer Forums > Geek Stuff

Geek Stuff General forum for discussing anything geek. If your topic doesn't fit in any of the other forums then post it here.

Computer Geeks
» Active Discussions
Computer Geeks
No Threads to Display.
» Other Websites
- Software Publishing

- Server Hardening

Old 12-05-2007, 07:37 AM
GB Newbie

Question What Would You Like To See In Linux?

Linux has proven to be an equally competent, if not better operating system than the over-rated Windows platform. However, despite the credibility of Linux, there are just some things that we can't do on Linux but vice-versa on Windows, or even Mac. The new Vista OS looks great and will definitely put Microsoft up on its game, given its sophisticated look but will this spell the end for Linux?

So, for Linux to actually beat Microsoft (or even Mac, if you want to...) or to even come back in the game and now become Vista's ultimate competitor, what does Linux need? Is Fedora good enough? Is SuSe good enough? Is Ubuntu good enough? Or will there be some obscure Linux platform that people will need to customise to make sure this happens?

So, drop your thoughts here and make it count. If we can run Windows programmes (like my ever crucial Visio) on Linux, that would be great. Whaddya think? What would you like to see in Linux?
Old 12-05-2007, 08:30 PM
GB Beginner

Send a message via ICQ to Billy41684 Send a message via AIM to Billy41684 Send a message via MSN to Billy41684 Send a message via Yahoo to Billy41684

If Vista's only thing going for them is graphics/style/eye candy, then they are screwed... Have you seen Compiz Fusion yet? Linux has Windows beat hands down with graphics/style/eye candy.

"I am using Linux every day to up my productivity - so up yours!"

******** W A R N I N G ! *******************************
Linux should not be used by those under the influence of MicroSoft.
May cause dizziness or vertigo. Consult your tech support before
using Linux. (note--after using Linux, you may notice extreme
discomfort when using MicroSoft. Discontinue use of MicroSoft.)
******************************* W A R N I N G ! ********
Old 12-10-2007, 04:36 PM
GB Beginner

I think common software support, simple to update drivers and visuals without actually really hampering the performance of the OS. Just all those have to be combined and then I think it would have a chance. I think there would have to be a really simple form that looks good and is not hard Sabayon in my opinion has what it needs graphically. I think familliarity is a key point too. More people too just need to be exposed to it and then see how similar it is to windows with stuff named differently.