Linux Chat

Building Websites

Computer Forums

Computer Help Forum

Computer Hardware Forum

Computer Software Programs

Go Back   Computer Forums > Geek Stuff
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Geek Stuff General forum for discussing anything geek. If your topic doesn't fit in any of the other forums then post it here.

Computer Geeks
» Active Discussions
Computer Geeks
No Threads to Display.
» Other Websites
- Software Publishing

- Server Hardening

Old 05-25-2006, 10:07 AM
GB Advanced User

Default New UK Divorce / Maintainance Laws

In the UK a recent ruling says that if one partner gives up their work to stay home and look after the kids (or just do housework) then they are entitled to more than just 'their needs' in payments after a divorce - they can get payments that are almost half the other partners income.

This is a change from our old system, which just gave enough to support the partner that stayed at home.

Some people are worried this is a return to the days when people would marry someone rich, stay at home for a while, get divorced, and have a meal ticket for life.

What is the system like in the USA? I think your system values stay at home partners too doesn't it? Do you see many marriages that are just to get the divorce payments a year or so later?

(For the record, I think that the stay at home partner does deserve some recognition, but perhaps only for a limited time. I could forsee lots of problems a few years down the line for a working ex-partner crippled by maintainance payments.)