Computer Gaming

Linux Chat

Building Websites

Computer Forums

Computer Help Forum

Computer Hardware Forum

Computer Software Programs

Go Back   Computer Forums > Building Websites

Building Websites This section covers all aspects of publishing, developing and maintaining websites. Topics include: website design, graphic design, website programming, web hosting, website marketing (SEO, link exchange, publicity, advertising), monetization & etc.

Computer Geeks
» Active Discussions
Computer Geeks
No Threads to Display.
» Other Websites
- Software Publishing

- Server Hardening

Old 03-08-2006, 11:49 AM
GB Beginner

Default What's best for a Hosting Company?

I am looking to get into the hosting industry - and I have been presented with a couple of options...One is to buy a big reseller server, and resell the hosting through that - or, I can buy a dedicated server, and do it through that.

Of course, the difference is...cost - and experience. I am under the impression that owning a dedicated server (either bought or physically owned) takes a lot of maintinence and experience - something I do not have. There are also other costs incurred such as software and 3rd party add ons.

With resellers - all I have to do is simply launch a website, set up accounts through cPanel and off I go.

Which one would you recommend specifically for me? If a dedicated server is definitely better, despite my experience and cost, then I am willing to spend and learn. It isn't a big deal.

What are some specific benefits of a dedicated server that sets itself apart from a reseller?

Thanks!
Old 03-11-2006, 12:17 AM
GB GEEK

Send a message via MSN to Soulwatcher

Honestly if your just starting out. I would go with a reseller account. It could be a year + before you get your first customer. And if you do not know how to manage your server your going to have to pay somone. And the cheapest place I know of charges $30 per month on top of what ever your paying for your server.

Another option you might try is a managed VPS server. This way you could get familiar with the way cPanel works. And when it comes time to move up to a dedicated server you should know what to do. Steed Fast Networks offers such a service. http://www.steadfastnetworks.com/services/vps.php
Old 03-11-2006, 04:44 PM
GB Beginner

I agree with soulwatcher. If you are just starting out buy a reseller account. You will gain experience and eventually the knowledge to move onto a dedicated server.
Old 03-12-2006, 11:07 AM
GB Beginner

Thanks both of you. I really appreciate the information.

I am considering buying from HostGator. Does anyone have any feedback or other recommendations?

I will look into the Steadfast Networks company.
Old 03-18-2006, 02:55 PM
GB Newbie

Send a message via MSN to cyberhostuk

If you have not yet decided on a web host, please take a look at the reseller packages on http://www.*********.net to see if we can accomodate your needs.

Thanks

Admin Edit: Please do not direct advertise on the forum, we have proper forums if you would like to advertise your services.