Computer Gaming

Linux Chat

Building Websites

Computer Forums

Computer Help Forum

Computer Hardware Forum

Computer Software Programs

Go Back   Computer Forums > Building Websites

Building Websites This section covers all aspects of publishing, developing and maintaining websites. Topics include: website design, graphic design, website programming, web hosting, website marketing (SEO, link exchange, publicity, advertising), monetization & etc.

Computer Geeks
» Active Discussions
Computer Geeks
No Threads to Display.
» Other Websites
- Software Publishing

- Server Hardening

Old 02-24-2006, 10:01 AM
GB Newbie

Default Buy own or use company?

I'm soon to be opening a mmorpg gaming server which will be obviously hosted on a Dedicated server. Game will be running over a period of 5-10 years (depending on performance).

Looking towards a:

Dual opt
4GB DDRAM
x2 250GB Harddrives

Atleast 10Mbit 20:1 connection.

Not sure if its cheaper to buy the server and line myself and run within the office or to buy dedicated server else where. As its easier to know when theres a problem with the server.
Old 02-24-2006, 10:28 AM
GB GEEK

Send a message via MSN to Soulwatcher

Well a server with specs is going to cost a fortune either way you go. Stead Fast Networks www.steadfastnetworks.com co-location offers a 1u + 10 Mbit/sec - $449 . Thats probably going to be your best bet buying a server and going co-location. Your looking at $573 per month for a dedicated server from www.Layerdtech.com. Buying the server upfront is going to be costly but if you plan on running it for 4 years its going to more than pay its self off.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:17 AM
GB Newbie

$100 x 12 = $1,200 x 4 = $4,800. Pretty big saving. Thanks for that
Old 03-01-2006, 01:46 AM
GB Beginner

That does seem your best bet, mmorpg is one of those RPG games if i'm right? sorry i wasent to sure :P thats a very nice spec computer to btw, will be majorly expensive. Good Luck.
Old 03-01-2006, 01:57 AM
GB Advanced User

MMORPG - Massivly Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game. I would strongly recommend using a company, it will seriously cut your costs and if the game flops then you dont have to sell a used server, you can just cancel your hosting
Old 03-01-2006, 01:59 AM
GB Beginner

So i was right? lol, so its things like 'Runescape' and all that? Btw you might want to go somewhere who offers a reasonable amount of Bandwidth, if not enough then offer extra bandwidth at reasonable prices.
Old 03-01-2006, 01:06 PM
GB Beginner

Yeah depending what type of MMORPG you'll need plenty of bandwidth ..could you PM or email me with info about the MMORPG? (job36_22@hotmail.com)
Old 03-01-2006, 01:53 PM
GB Advanced User

Just go to http://www.ngoempire.net/ not that I'm anything to do with it *whistle*
Old 03-01-2006, 06:44 PM
GB Newbie

I used to rent one from a company who shall remain nameless, but they basically sucked at the end of the day, of course I have friends who have had great experiences renting servers though, so as long as you research who you go with you will probably be just fine. I think this article might help you decide whether to buy or rent though;

http://webdesign.about.com/cs/webser...webservers.htm
Old 03-02-2006, 07:19 AM
GB GEEK

Send a message via MSN to Soulwatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma
I used to rent one from a company who shall remain nameless, but they basically sucked at the end of the day, of course I have friends who have had great experiences renting servers though, so as long as you research who you go with you will probably be just fine. I think this article might help you decide whether to buy or rent though;

http://webdesign.about.com/cs/webser...webservers.htm
Emma I think your totally right. You have to be very selective on what dedicated service provider choose. The thing to remember is get your dedicated server from the source. Do not go through a second party, if they don't pay their bills. The dedicated service provider shuts down your server. A good place to check the backround on dedicated server providers is www.webhostingtalk.com.