Computer Gaming

Linux Chat

Building Websites

Computer Forums

Computer Help Forum

Computer Hardware Forum

Computer Software Programs

Go Back   Computer Forums > Building Websites

Building Websites This section covers all aspects of publishing, developing and maintaining websites. Topics include: website design, graphic design, website programming, web hosting, website marketing (SEO, link exchange, publicity, advertising), monetization & etc.

Computer Geeks
» Active Discussions
Computer Geeks
No Threads to Display.
» Other Websites
- Software Publishing

- Server Hardening

Old 06-09-2009, 06:26 PM
GB Beginner

Default google site links for trade show displays

I have a question about google site links. If you search for "trade show displays" on google, the site #1 and site #4 have site links, but none of the others do. I thought only the top sites got site links. Why don't #2 and #3 have site links if #4 does? I've seen it on searches besides "trade show displays", but obviously thats what I'm interested in.
Just to update this, now a google search for "trade show displays" shows site links for results #3 and #4, but not for the #1 or #2 results. I'm wondering if it's a function of the website and not the position, and that certain websites if they are in the top 4 will get site links, but others won't when they're in the top 4? But that doesn't see to always be the case... for example, when this website about trade show displays makes it into the top four, sometimes it shows site links and sometime it doesn't?
Maybe it's a bug? Maybe its intentional to keep us confused? Is this just another google mystery, or does anyone know why???

Last edited by trade-show-joe; 03-03-2014 at 12:03 PM.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:39 AM
GB Newbie

Smile Site Links

Google Search will probably turn up different results for that search every few days or weeks. So your question will become out of date since the link order would have changed. I don't know what you mean by not having site links. I'm sure the reason why pages are ranked so high is because of good SEO and lots of good backlinks.
Old 06-21-2009, 08:46 AM
GB Newbie

hey trade show joe,
I just looked and only the top two sites have site links. I think you only get them if you're ranked hi, and have other pages on you site that rank for that term. But I don't know for sure. At least the search for "trade show displays" has site links. Try searching for "trade show marketing" and you'll see no site links at all. I guess it has to be a popular search.
Old 07-17-2009, 05:09 AM
GB Beginner

To get site links you have three parameters:

1. Relevance
2. Popularity
3. Site structure (can be discussed)

Try reading about SEO ... :-)

Last edited by lga1983; 07-29-2009 at 03:56 AM.
Old 07-25-2009, 06:59 AM
GB Newbie

good advice there lga. Joe I have no idea why that happens. Off to look ino seo now.
Old 07-25-2009, 08:01 AM
GB Newbie

A similar thing happens when you search for 'holiday cottages' on google. It seems a very competative search term but some of the sites that list near the top also do not have site links.
Old 07-29-2009, 03:53 AM
GB Beginner

Default Seo

I really believe you should follow the advice of LGA183. Read about SEO and how to do it... maybe like that you would understand better how that works. You should also consider that the top part and the right are "pay areas".
Old 07-29-2009, 09:16 AM
GB Beginner

Someone said "Relevance" and I would add that this is the key. BTW the top ranked search result should be the most relevant anyway. So the sitelinks are nothing but shortcuts. I know they look nice, but they are only a shortcuts.
24/7 Support: 1-574-367-2393; Skype: HostColor
Old 07-31-2009, 07:13 AM
GB Newbie

Yes, i also show only top 2 have site links. And imo site links depends on link popularity, relevance of the site.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:20 AM
GB Newbie

Exactly, relevance is VERY important when you deal with SEO. Anyway, you can get some SEO guide an have a look. it might help :-)