Computer Gaming

Linux Chat

Building Websites

Computer Forums

Computer Help Forum

Computer Hardware Forum

Computer Software Programs

Go Back   Computer Forums > Building Websites

Building Websites This section covers all aspects of publishing, developing and maintaining websites. Topics include: website design, graphic design, website programming, web hosting, website marketing (SEO, link exchange, publicity, advertising), monetization & etc.

Computer Geeks
» Active Discussions
Computer Geeks
No Threads to Display.
» Other Websites
- Software Publishing

- Server Hardening

Old 02-22-2006, 05:11 PM
GB Newbie

Default performance issue

Anybody can recommend me a good spec for a homeserver, just to host i dont know, let's just say a blog.

Please tell me Spec, hits it can handle, etc.
Old 02-23-2006, 12:18 AM
GB GEEK

Send a message via MSN to Soulwatcher
Default Part 1

If you just plan on running a home webserver with a blog then just about anything will do. The biggest factor you are going to run into is your bandwidth. Most broad band company's upload speed is 384kb/s to 768kb/s up. A very good example of a home websever is www.dslwebserver.com. (even though he uses windows) Last time I spoke with him his website was transferring well over 30gb a month on a 384kb/s connection. For the most part his website load time is fast and very reasonable. He only has 1 Internet connection so at certain times of the day his website slows down.

A very important thing to remember when setting up a home webserver is Never put a mission critical website on a home webserver. Because with a home connection you never know when it may go down. If you think about the benefits on a home webserver, they are just over whelming.

1# Most data centers charge $89 to $150 for a 1mbps connection. Unless your a web developer or your website gets slash doted. Its going to be completely over kill. Running a teamspeak server and 3 websites my server transfer was around 10GB a month for 6 months. A DSL connection with a 384KB upload is $17.00 per month from SBC and would handle a 10GB a month transfer per month with ease.

2# You have 24/7 access to your server. If any hardware breaks your right there to fix it. If your server is in Texas and you live in Michigan and some thing breaks your at the mercy of the data center. Hourly labor is $30 to $75 a hr at most data centers. And same thing goes for upgrades. If you want to upgrade your server and its at home its right there. If its at the data center your going to pay.

Now for some draw backs to having a home webserver.

1# You cant burst. If your connection is 384kb up then thats as fast as your going to go. But the benefit to that is their is no monthly overages. You simply cant go over your monthly bandwidth.

2# Server security. It just doesn't exist if your hosting from home. If someone kicks down your door and steals your server then all of your information goes with it.

3# No back up power supply. There are no UPS systems or diesel generators to keep your servers going when the power goes out.
Old 02-23-2006, 12:32 AM
GB GEEK

Default Part 2

Now if I didn't scare you away then I would highly recommend getting a Dell Tower server for your home webserver. A PowerEdge SC430 would more than do the job. http://http://configure.us.dell.com/...c430sapp&s=bsd

My server configuration recommendations would be a Celeron 2.53, 512MB of ram and a 80GB hard drive. That would power your blog nicely. And its only $449 as of 2-23-06. Anything more than those specs would be over kill. You would run out of bandwidth before you ran out of server processing power.

If you don't already have a high speed connection I would look into SBC Yahoo DSL Pro package. Its 1.5 mbps to 3.0 mbps down and 384kb/s to 512kb/s up. That would power your blog nicely.

Depending on how graphic intense your blog is I would guess that it could support 10 to 30 users at once. Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 02-23-2006, 02:12 AM
GB Newbie

I just realized something
suppose I have a big website, is it possible to have to workload outsourced to somewhere else?

In terms of processing that is. Let's say the website do some heavy processing, the process is sent to my home webserver to be processed and send back the result to the remote server, is this possible?
Old 02-23-2006, 02:43 AM
GB GEEK

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahyudinata
I just realized something
suppose I have a big website, is it possible to have to workload outsourced to somewhere else?

In terms of processing that is. Let's say the website do some heavy processing, the process is sent to my home webserver to be processed and send back the result to the remote server, is this possible?
Do you mean process MySQL requests on another server? If so why would you want to do that. That would defeat the process of running your own home webserver. What type and how big of a blog do you plan to run?

I built this server with MySQL in mind. Its a P4 3.0GHZ 2MB Cache 64BIT HT, 2GB of DDR400 ram, two 80GB Sata 150 hard drives running, hardware Raid 1 and a 250GB back up drive. The server will support 150 to 300 users on the forum with now slow down. And by that time if you have that many users you should be able to afford to rent a dual processor server. My total server cost was less than $1000.
Old 02-23-2006, 12:47 PM
GB Newbie

Oh i was thinking of distribute heavy calculations on remote servers so the users wont notice slow downs, the calculations are processed on home webserver and then will be sent back.

is this a feasible idea? Almost like SETI project
Old 02-23-2006, 12:53 PM
VIP Member
GB Beginner

Send a message via AIM to Jason Send a message via Yahoo to Jason
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulwatcher
3# No back up power supply. There are no UPS systems or diesel generators to keep your servers going when the power goes out.
Actually, you can get a UPS or generator. You can get good deals on UPS'. A generator doesn't have to be diesel. But, a generator will probably cost you more too.
Old 02-23-2006, 06:26 PM
GB Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason
Actually, you can get a UPS or generator. You can get good deals on UPS'. A generator doesn't have to be diesel. But, a generator will probably cost you more too.
UPS's are quite cheap now. And they are good, some will keep power for over an hour or even longer if the power is cut out.

Generators are overboard unless you have some good income or are running a large hosting company.
________
vaporizer guide

Last edited by James72; 01-21-2011 at 08:31 PM.
Old 03-03-2006, 06:44 AM
GB Advanced User

I got a UPS for $150 that will keep my server and routers up for 90 minutes. I got it at office depot and it was on sale.
Old 03-03-2006, 08:42 PM
VIP Member
GB Beginner

Send a message via AIM to Jason Send a message via Yahoo to Jason

I just bought another UPS at Office Max earlier tonight.