Computer Gaming

Linux Chat

Building Websites

Computer Forums

Computer Help Forum

Computer Hardware Forum

Computer Software Programs

Go Back   Computer Forums > Building Websites

Building Websites This section covers all aspects of publishing, developing and maintaining websites. Topics include: website design, graphic design, website programming, web hosting, website marketing (SEO, link exchange, publicity, advertising), monetization & etc.

Computer Geeks
» Active Discussions
Computer Geeks
No Threads to Display.
» Other Websites
- Software Publishing

- Server Hardening

Old 03-14-2006, 12:05 AM
GB Beginner

Tomorrow is the big day. I will attempt to redo my network. Just incase I can't get anything to work, is a switch and hub the same thing? Would this be the thing I need:
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-5-Ports-Ethe...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 03-14-2006, 04:40 AM
Super Moderator
GB Advanced User

Switches and hubs are definitely not the same. Any traffic sent to a hub is broadcasted to every computer connected regardless of whether or not they requested it or not. This can make a VERY congested network when you are doing high traffic tasks like transferring files or multiplayer gaming over your LAN.

Switches offer much better network performance then hubs. A switch inspects each packet and uses a MAC Address table stored in the switch to determine exactly what device the traffic goes to.
Old 03-16-2006, 03:21 AM
GB Beginner

I have my network done the way I needed it to be for testing, but since the downtime today, I spent most of today in the corner crying.

I still don't fully understand what I need. A hub broadcasts to everything, a switch doesn't, so what's a router? If you needed to do this, what thing would you be buying, the exact make and model (and a link to newegg.com or somewhere were I could buy that thing, if you have a link)?
Old 03-16-2006, 06:22 AM
GB Advanced User

I have two d-link routers. I set router to 192.168.0.1 and the other router to 192.168.0.2 and that seems to work. I just connected them by connecting one router to the other from one LAN port to the other with a normal cable. The secound router does not seem to do anything but add ports. I did not have to setup port forwarding or the firewall or anything on the secound router. I think it must sence the other router because the other router has ports blocked and then port forwarding and everything for the server.

Is it going to slow down my server by having it go through two routers and then out to the internet?
Old 03-16-2006, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator
GB Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomainerZone
I still don't fully understand what I need. A hub broadcasts to everything, a switch doesn't, so what's a router? If you needed to do this, what thing would you be buying, the exact make and model (and a link to newegg.com or somewhere were I could buy that thing, if you have a link)?
Mostly all residential-grade routers these days have atleast a 4 port intergrated switch. I would just buy a switch to connect up to one of the ports on your current router.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMeffert
I have two d-link routers. I set router to 192.168.0.1 and the other router to 192.168.0.2 and that seems to work. I just connected them by connecting one router to the other from one LAN port to the other with a normal cable. The secound router does not seem to do anything but add ports. I did not have to setup port forwarding or the firewall or anything on the secound router. I think it must sence the other router because the other router has ports blocked and then port forwarding and everything for the server.

Is it going to slow down my server by having it go through two routers and then out to the internet?
Only if you go through the WAN port on the second router, thats the only time you will need to worry about forwarding ports. You won't notice any speed difference going through the second router.
Old 03-16-2006, 07:55 PM
GB Advanced User

ok I will leave it then.
Old 03-16-2006, 07:58 PM
Super Moderator
GB Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMeffert
ok I will leave it then.
You can test it yourself by pinging your main router from your server, if your getting typical LAN results of 0-10ms its fine.
Old 03-17-2006, 05:50 AM
GB Advanced User

I am pinging my server and getting <1ms