Computer Gaming

Linux Chat

Building Websites

Computer Forums

Computer Help Forum

Computer Hardware Forum

Computer Software Programs

Go Back   Computer Forums > Linux Chat

Linux Chat Linux geeks unite! Discuss anything related to the Linux operating system here.

Computer Geeks
» Active Discussions
Computer Geeks
No Threads to Display.
» Other Websites
- Software Publishing

- Server Hardening

Old 03-16-2006, 08:32 PM
GB Beginner

Send a message via AIM to Julian
Default Ubuntu

Have any of you guys ever used this program, I just recieved it but I want to know its competitors and if any of you used it before.
Old 03-16-2006, 11:19 PM
GB GEEK

Send a message via MSN to Soulwatcher

I have just recently heard of it. If you are planning on using it for your server. I would strongly suggest having a look at Centos Its a clone of RHEL (Red Hat Enterprise Linux) and its totally free. Centos has a huge following and a well supported community.
Old 03-17-2006, 12:44 PM
GB Beginner

I will do, my dad is buying parts and what not to set up a server for hosting, we are both learning linux together. I'll let my dad know about centos so we can get more information on that.
Old 03-17-2006, 04:01 PM
GB Beginner

I have and use Ubuntu. I'm not the best Linux person to ask, but my friend at school is a big Linux geek. He prefers Ubuntu over any Red Hat clone because of the ease of using. However, he does not use it for servering anything. Ubuntu has a nice desktop and other features that make it a lot like Windows. It's more of a Windows replacment. Ubuntu was designed by some rich guy in I believe Central America to put on computer for poor kids instead of having to pay Windows licensing fees. Ubuntu is some language (I believe some African language) for "sharing".

There are plenty of variations of it including EdUbuntu (for Educational institutions) and the rumored Goobuntu (the Google OS, but this might not even be real). I went with CentOS because it was more for servers. At the time, I didn't even know the difference between Red Hat clones and Debian-based distros (Ubuntu).
Old 03-17-2006, 09:30 PM
GB Beginner

Domainer thanks for that background information , I think we are going to fool around with it and see what we get, but if centos is more for servers we may have to go wtih that.
Old 03-19-2006, 04:25 AM
GB Newbie

I like Ubuntu, but if you want to switch from Windows to Linux, I suggest Linspire [AKA Lindows]. It's $49, but I have a special coupon code for it.

The main thing that bugs me is their CNR [one click install thing] which you need to pay extra for. But just ignore it, enable apt-get, then type apt-get install synaptic at the terminal. Then, just type synaptic at the terminal. You then have an equally easy to use one click install system, and it's free. Personally, I find it less fussy.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:57 PM
GB Newbie

I also received my ubuntu cd last month, and to tell you guys i am a complete stranger to this ubuntu, but i love to try it....