Computer Gaming

Linux Chat

Building Websites

Computer Forums

Computer Help Forum

Computer Hardware Forum

Computer Software Programs

Go Back   Computer Forums > Linux Chat

Linux Chat Linux geeks unite! Discuss anything related to the Linux operating system here.

Computer Geeks
» Active Discussions
Computer Geeks
No Threads to Display.
» Other Websites
- Software Publishing

- Server Hardening

Old 03-11-2006, 03:04 PM
GB Beginner

Default Linux vs Windows?

I have heard all over the internet that linux is the superior server operating system. Is this an accurate statement? Or are there some pros and cons? Is there certain operating systems better for certain funcionalities?
Old 03-11-2006, 04:48 PM
GB Beginner

It seems from what I have read online that Linux is more secure than Windows but I'm sure both have there advantages and disadvantages.
Old 03-11-2006, 05:12 PM
GB GEEK

Send a message via MSN to Soulwatcher

Well with out turning this into a heated discussion. I will say each OS has their advantages. If you have $1200+ to buy Windows software for your server. By all means go ahead and do so. If you want to have your server do the same job for free. Then Linux is right for you. In the end both Windows and Linux perform the same job. One will empty your pocket book, the other will save you $$$$$. Both Windows and Linux can be stable and secure. It just depends on who sets up the server.
Old 03-20-2006, 06:08 AM
GB Beginner

Send a message via AIM to LucnetSolutions Send a message via MSN to LucnetSolutions Send a message via Yahoo to LucnetSolutions

Both Linux and Windows has the security holes and have great performace. Like mentioned by Soulwatcher, it can also depend on the money. Over all it is really what you like to work with.

Myself, I prefer Linux.
Old 03-20-2006, 02:58 PM
GB Newbie

Of course now days you can get Windows 2003 Web server for $15 a month, which kind of removes the $$$$ aspect of windows, it just get down to which your more comfortable with.
Old 03-28-2006, 05:56 AM
GB Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperior Eric
Is there certain operating systems better for certain funcionalities?
Both Windows and Linux are written as independent OS; they are not written to a specific hardware. They are written so that they work with any PC hardware. However, some OS are specifically written to a very specific hardware. AIX is a great example, and these OS perform extremely well with specific hardware.
Old 04-13-2006, 06:50 AM
GB Beginner

I'd say the choice is more down to what you want to do with the server. Everything you use has bugs, and running software on platforms differant from the main development platform is likely to produce far more problems than anything. So for example, the majority of php users run on linux servers, as do people using mysql. I would therefore never use windows for that platform. It will work, but is likely to be sub optimal and the majority of the information on the net tends to be about the most common platform.
In comparison, if I was to develop .net applications, I would choose a windows server. While it is possible to run .net on a linux server (with the appropriate apache modules) the full .net API is only partly working.
Also, your own skills and familiarity should be taken into account also. Choosing to run a linux server when you are not familiar with linux or Unix will likely be a very painful learning curve.
Old 04-14-2006, 06:00 AM
GB Beginner

Send a message via AIM to southernlady Send a message via MSN to southernlady Send a message via Yahoo to southernlady

Quote:
Choosing to run a linux server when you are not familiar with linux or Unix will likely be a very painful learning curve.
AMEN to that but can be overcome.

But learning a windows server can be even WORSE!!! Of the two, I much prefer the linux learning curve. Liz
Old 04-14-2006, 08:39 AM
GB Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady
AMEN to that but can be overcome.

But learning a windows server can be even WORSE!!! Of the two, I much prefer the linux learning curve. Liz
It's often said that Linux/Unix is designed for engineers while Windows is designed for ordinary people. Once you use computers, especially, something like servers for a period of time, you start thinking and acting like engineers. It may feel more comfortable using Linux/Unix at that point.
Old 04-20-2006, 05:49 PM
GB Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetanotherfcw
It's often said that Linux/Unix is designed for engineers while Windows is designed for ordinary people. Once you use computers, especially, something like servers for a period of time, you start thinking and acting like engineers. It may feel more comfortable using Linux/Unix at that point.
Thats very wrong. People get shuved windows down their mounth the moment they turn on their computer. Everything works fine so people are happy. I bet in China, if the give people an option for Linux, free VS Windows, $$$ they will pick linux and the 'ordinary people' will feel more comfortable with linux.

though i must admin linux does everything fine, but its much harder to make it perfect like in windows. this is not OS related but support by 3rd parties