Linux Chat

Building Websites

Computer Forums

Computer Help Forum

Computer Hardware Forum

Computer Software Programs

Go Back   Computer Forums > Geek Stuff
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Geek Stuff General forum for discussing anything geek. If your topic doesn't fit in any of the other forums then post it here.

Computer Geeks
» Active Discussions
Computer Geeks
No Threads to Display.
» Other Websites
- Software Publishing

- Server Hardening

Old 03-10-2006, 04:41 PM
GB Beginner

Default Domain Names

Just wandering if anyone here buys and sells domain names? What would be your best name and if you don't mind me asking, what's the highest amount you have ever bought or sold a domain for?

I've only started, but my favourite domain that i won so far is freewebspace.in. Since I have really only started, the biggest sale I have made so far was for $8 but then I did buy the domain for $0.48.
Old 03-10-2006, 10:38 PM
GB Beginner

I buy and sell domains. I don't really have a best one. I guess the one I am holding on to a 3 character .com, but that's about it. I usually sell them with something else, either a group of domains, website, PPC site, or something to give me an edge over available domains and other sellers.
Old 03-11-2006, 04:42 PM
GB Beginner

A 3 letter .com, nice! I haven't really been that successful at all in selling my domains. Maybe I should develop some sites around them and then try to sell.
Old 03-12-2006, 11:42 AM
GB Newbie

I have never purchased domains to sell them. I usually get an idea and then find a domain name for the site I will develop. I don't believe in buying expensive names either. I would create my own domain name according to the topic and start from there. So I just spend the minimum domain price.
Old 03-12-2006, 06:42 PM
GB Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dojo
I have never purchased domains to sell them. I usually get an idea and then find a domain name for the site I will develop. I don't believe in buying expensive names either. I would create my own domain name according to the topic and start from there. So I just spend the minimum domain price.
That's what I did until I bought a few more domains that I could develop. Before I got finished with the first one, I was getting offers on the others. I realized that the amount of time and work it would take to develop the sites wasn't worth it compared to the prices I was getting on the domains by themselves. After that, I became domainer.
Old 03-14-2006, 06:38 AM
GB Beginner

I've recently just gotten into the domain business - I currently own 21 domains. I've tried a couple times to resell them, but to no avail (probably because my asking price was to high!).
Old 03-14-2006, 09:05 PM
GB Newbie

Theres a alot of money being made in the domain selling industry. However alot of the good ones are already taken so theres little hope to getting a million dollar domain.
Old 03-16-2006, 03:16 AM
GB Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpapi
Theres a alot of money being made in the domain selling industry. However alot of the good ones are already taken so theres little hope to getting a million dollar domain.
You're thinking about it the wrong way. You will never get a million dollar domain, but you can easily get a million one dollar domains. Everyone wants to make one sale and then retire, but the real fortune to be made is in domain junking, get cheap domains and sell them for just a little bit more. You can make several sales in a day doing this and the money starts to add up.
Old 03-18-2006, 02:56 PM
GB Newbie

Send a message via MSN to cyberhostuk

Just out of interest, where do you lot sell your domain names?

Thanks
Old 03-18-2006, 06:20 PM
GB Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberhostuk
Just out of interest, where do you lot sell your domain names?

Thanks
I mainly sell on various forums. The only other site I sold a few domains on was eBay, but I get mixed results. I sold a real estate state for $10 that could do all sorts of stuff, and then I sold a lame "record label" site that just said "Send demos to:" and an address and that went for over $300. I find it a nice place to get rid of some crap domains/websites that no one else would be interested in. Sometimes you get lucky and get a lot, but most of the time you don't.

DNForum.com is good for higher end stuff. NamePros.com is good for cheaper stuff.