Computer Gaming

Linux Chat

Building Websites

Computer Forums

Computer Help Forum

Computer Hardware Forum

Computer Software Programs

Go Back   Computer Forums > Building Websites

Building Websites This section covers all aspects of publishing, developing and maintaining websites. Topics include: website design, graphic design, website programming, web hosting, website marketing (SEO, link exchange, publicity, advertising), monetization & etc.

Computer Geeks
» Active Discussions
Computer Geeks
No Threads to Display.
» Other Websites
- Software Publishing

- Server Hardening

Old 03-01-2006, 09:39 AM
GB GEEK

Send a message via MSN to Soulwatcher
Default How many servers do you run? And how many websites per server?

I have thought allot about this lately. It would be interesting to find out how many servers our members are running. And how many websites per server? And how many server have you owned/rented in the past. And also what was the first server you owned/rented?

So how about it how many servers are you currently running? And how many websites are you running on each server. How many servers have you owned/rented in the past? Also what was your first owned/rented server?

I currently am running 1 server with 3 websites on the server. This is my fourth server I rented a server from 1800Hosting and have owned two other servers. My first server was a Dell Power Edge SC 600 with a P4 1.8GHZ , 256mb of ram and a 40GB hard drive. I owned that server for almost 3 years.
Old 03-01-2006, 03:48 PM
Super Moderator
GB Advanced User

I've been all over the map with webservers, from 400Mhz machines running Win2k Adv Server to my current custom built P4 3.2Ghz box I have colocated. Currently I have 16 domains being hosted on my server, some of which aren't being used for anything but place-holders for the time being.

As mentioned in another thread, I rented a dedicated server from ServerMatrix for a while but that didn't work out and the cost got too expensive for me at the time. It had 1GB memory, Intel P4, and two 80GB HDDs if I remember right. That also included five IPs and 600GB/monthly transfer.

I currently run a FC4 test box here at home which will eventually handle backup duties for my colocated server. I'm planning on setting up a cronjob to rsync a tar file down every night.
Old 03-01-2006, 04:41 PM
GB GEEK

Send a message via MSN to Soulwatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by QBall15j
I currently run a FC4 test box here at home which will eventually handle backup duties for my colocated server. I'm planning on setting up a cronjob to rsync a tar file down every night.
Thats what I plan to do with the server this website is on now. Once I get my dual processor server. But for now I am downloading my backups to my work station.
Old 03-05-2006, 07:47 PM
GB Advanced User

I have 1 server. It used to be running Windows Server 2k3 and had about 15 sites on it and now I run FC4 on it and it has just one site on it. 800mhz, 30GB harddrive, 640MB of RAM, APC 1200 UPS next to it.
Old 03-31-2006, 12:55 AM
GB Advanced User

Just 1 server.

I host about 12, 13, domains. 6 domains have several subdomains.
Old 04-05-2006, 01:16 AM
GB Beginner

I don't own any servers, but hoping to soon. I have one main website and another just for email. Hoping to learn information here about running a server. I've messed with Linux and enjoy it and I don't have too much trouble making my way through it.
Old 04-17-2006, 10:11 PM
GB Newbie

Well, where I work they have 23 servers. They have around 300 sites per server, running CentOS with a P4 3.0 1 Gb RAM. Seemed quite a bit for me but most of them run pretty fine.