Linux Chat

Building Websites

Computer Forums

Computer Help Forum

Computer Hardware Forum

Computer Software Programs

Go Back   Computer Forums > Building Websites
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Building Websites This section covers all aspects of publishing, developing and maintaining websites. Topics include: website design, graphic design, website programming, web hosting, website marketing (SEO, link exchange, publicity, advertising), monetization & etc.

Computer Geeks
» Active Discussions
Computer Geeks
No Threads to Display.
» Other Websites
- Software Publishing

- Server Hardening

Old 04-20-2006, 02:26 PM
GB Beginner

Default Heroin's Server

Yo, my real name is Harm K. and iam running my own homeserver. iam currently 18 years old and i live in the netherlands. I met soulwhatcher in some forum, i forgot where, and i checked out his site and it looked really nice so i decided to check it out and now iam here.

My server is a pentium 3 ~ 1Ghz, 128mb ram, with a 4048/768kbps connection, which is also used by my home network. The server is based on debian sarge 3.1 and is a fully loaded webserver with apache php mysql ftp mail etc dns etc etc. I really enjoy computer as a hobby but iam not very satisfied with it as my career choice. I would like to but iam not sure whats holding me back.

Anyway click here for my current homepage, which iam thinking of redoing by using a csm such as e107. My current project is this website which is going to contain a load of howto's for people around my age and younger whom really dont have the best knowledge about computers. I enjoy sharing my limited knowledge with anyone who is willing to listen, and i enjoy listening aswell! So comments are always welcome.

The only thing iam currently concerned about is the security issue the server puts in my network. i already read in another trhead about eth0.us, and iam going to check that out. If anyone here is a 'hacker', i mean penetration tester could you let me know if you can help me out? I would really like to know how secure my network is! I myself am intrested in network analysum but i dont have the time for it and there are also many things iam currentlly trying to master such a linux.

Ill be very happy if you would reply if you read this

gl&hf
-Heroin
Old 04-20-2006, 04:10 PM
GB GEEK

Send a message via MSN to Soulwatcher

Welcome to the forums Harm. Its great to see another home webserver user. www.eth0.us is a great place to learn how to secure your server. I don't know how to check for security loop holes but I am sure if you never secured your server they are there. I would have a look a www.eth0.us everyone of his guides are easy to follow.

Soulwatcher
Old 04-20-2006, 05:36 PM
GB Beginner

Default yah

mod_security for apache looked pretty intresting ill tap that this weekend, but iam not very worried about hackers i mean who the heck would want to screw my server?