Linux Chat

Building Websites

Computer Forums

Computer Help Forum

Computer Hardware Forum

Computer Software Programs

Go Back   Computer Forums > Building Websites
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Building Websites This section covers all aspects of publishing, developing and maintaining websites. Topics include: website design, graphic design, website programming, web hosting, website marketing (SEO, link exchange, publicity, advertising), monetization & etc.

Computer Geeks
» Active Discussions
Computer Geeks
No Threads to Display.
» Other Websites
- Software Publishing

- Server Hardening

Old 11-26-2009, 04:40 AM
GB Newbie

Default InDesign to Web... is it possible?

Believe it or not, but up until a week ago our company didn't have a website despite being around since the 60's!

Over the last few months I had been playing around with a really basic site, doing all the design work in InDesign as I just needed mock-ups to convince the bosses that we needed something, anything.

So after a few revisions and whatnot, we finally had something they they liked. A local company that we do a fair bit of printing for also offers web services, so it was decided to contract to them to build our website.

I packaged all the indesign files up, as per my normal routine, and shipped it over to them on DVD. Within 24 hours they had our entire site done. I asked their technical guy why it didn't take very long (their initial estimate was 3-4 days) and he basically said that I did 90% of the work by supplying them with everything they needed.

This intrigued me as to how they were able to take my indesign files and produce a entire website (about 10 pages) from it, in a short period of time.

I've got to do a re-design on my volunteer fire department's site, something I've been putting off because I wasn't sure how to approach it. BUT, if I can do all the mock ups in InDesign, and figure out how to create a website from it, i'd be laughing.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Old 08-07-2010, 05:12 PM
GB Newbie

Creating a static website is very quick work these days. I happen to like Microsoft Expression Web as the development tool.

Quite frankly, what takes time is developing content and finding / editing photos. If that's done, you can have a site online in about 20 minutes.
Old 08-27-2010, 03:52 AM
GB Newbie

Nice post
Old 10-24-2010, 07:08 PM
GB Beginner

Hi,

I've not used indesign before but depending on which format you sent the web design company, it could be fairly easy to build a website from it. Actually, there's probably an option to save an html format from indesign. See if there's an option when you do Save As or Export for html.

It's not really the ideal way to build websites (as I've found a lot of these app which export to html, are a bit messy) but it should let you make a website.

Or as someone else suggested, there are a number of basic free web design tools such as MS Expression which you can try learning.

Just experiment and in no time, you'll have a website for your fire department. It won't have all the bells and whistles but it will do the job!

Cheers,
Bob.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:31 PM
GB Beginner

There are definitely template sites out there that are free or relatively cheap. Not much functionality but should get you a website presence at least. You definitely must have an online presence to get found by prospects and clients.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:05 PM
GB Beginner

Its easier to build a website if everything needed to develop are readily available. It often takes time for the designer to find out , arrange and place the content neatly and satisfy user, customer and the search engines. Static Websites are easier to build than Dynamic Websites. Of course template sites are there where we could try designs free of cost.