Computer Gaming

Linux Chat

Building Websites

Computer Forums

Computer Help Forum

Computer Hardware Forum

Computer Software Programs

Go Back   Computer Forums > Linux Chat

Linux Chat Linux geeks unite! Discuss anything related to the Linux operating system here.

Computer Geeks
» Active Discussions
Computer Geeks
No Threads to Display.
» Other Websites
- Software Publishing

- Server Hardening

Old 04-24-2006, 03:03 PM
GB Newbie

Of course, every single operating system has it's pros and cons.

As we're discussing Windows vs Linux, I will point out some pros and cons. I will be focusing mainly on using these operating systems as servers.

Windows
Pros: Easy to manage, most people are used to how it works. A lot of software written for it, runs on most hardware and has many drivers, 'official' support from developers as well as many unofficial sources.
Cons: Expensive, some software written for it costs, closed source, lots of security holes, major updates not very frequent.

Linux
Pros: Free, comes in many 'distros' [flavours], each optimized for a specific purpose. Open soruce,very customizable, most software free, fairly secure, frequent updates.
Cons: Can be hard to set up, can provide a big learning curve, core operating system dosen't have a GUI [graphical user interface - this can sometimes put off novices], no 'official' support - users must rely on other users.
Old 05-03-2006, 05:07 AM
GB Beginner

very true :P i think in 5 years linux will have become much larger
Old 05-07-2006, 07:44 AM
GB Beginner

They both have their uses:

Linux: web professionals, designed for heavy network usages, etc

windows: very much visual based, a little unstable - requires more frequent updates and reboots.

Windows server 2003 is actualy just as good (if not better) than using a linux distro...i dont think MS made it because its so good
Old 05-07-2006, 09:29 AM
GB Beginner

rmwebs you should really give ubuntu Dapper a go.. (ubuntu not K- or X-ubuntu) Its really nice visual wise, very stable, but requires updating every day, but that due to Beta phase i think
Old 05-12-2006, 11:42 AM
GB Beginner

Will have to take a look at it...i have loads of coppies of Ubuntu Breezy, including a shop stand to give them away for free
Old 07-05-2006, 06:52 PM
GB Newbie

After years of being a Windows and Micrsoft user I have almostr completely migrated away from anything made by Microsoft. I now use Linux Kubuntu on my PC and cent OS on my servers. Also no more Frontpage, DreamWeaver, or Photoshop as I have found better alternatives that are for Linux and are free. My opinion of Microsoft is that they make everything just good enough that people will buy it, but they do not ever make anything great. By the way, before someone points it out, I know Photoshop is not made by Microsoft.
Old 09-18-2006, 03:48 PM
GB Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Pride Send a message via Yahoo to Pride
Default Linux vs. Windows

Each OS still has its uses. Any Microsoft operating system you can put in a business situation and most end-users will be happy. Unfortunately, you can't say the same for Linux as of yet.

Personally, each of my systems is dual boot with Windows XP and Slackware Linux. Working as a Systems Administrator for a mid-sized computer company I still deal with things in the field that 'must have' Windows. If it wasn't for that, I would be Linux 100%.

As someone stated above, in five years you are going to see some Linux distribution become the desktop equivalent of Windows. I'm really hoping so anyway!!
Old 09-21-2006, 12:00 AM
Moderator ++
GB Guru

What exactly is a must have win something i guess this is where you lose me. I own a computer business and whenever i go out on the job i never see a need for windows. I to have a couple dual boot machines when i go out and set up a small office with a dataserver and file server. I always use linux only because i don't get complaints about the machine needing a restart because it had to be updated.. The only time i restart a lin machine is when i update a kernel. The people that use the systems that i set up also use samba and they use it as a webserver, If i set up a win machine to perform these task all on one it would lag and has the server load on a win machine was much greater then a lin machine.

Not only does it run smoother but there is no real need for antivirus on a linux machine, Windows may be better for the average joe that does not mind rebooting and ridding them selves of unwanted spyware and virus software. The biggest problem with windows is it is expensive, If you get a distro like cent, deb, slax, slackware etc etc the there is no real cost. I for one believe that the stability of a linux machine is far better then a windows machine. I have had windows since win 95 and had nothing good come from it, Yes i still use win this is only because there is software that i like from win. When they port this over to lin then i will free up valuable space and rid it of unnecessary software.

Even the desktop enviroment is more stable then windows i use KDE and Gnome, There is linux os that is very good a detecting hardware (Suse, Mandrivia, linspire etc etc) that even the average windows user can load this up.

I do not see any thing good to compare lin to win i think it is written in windows code to fail. update, restart, update, restart, this goes on forever, Why do this when you can update, upgrade and play no restart no mess. another thing with win, when you load software its a big mess lin has directory for what it needs and when you need to find something its in the directory it is expected to be. to remove something its much easier then win.
I guess i am talking on the side of a linux fan and i know a few things of this software being more single minded then open at this point but i am seriously tired of windows.

I don't see any pros in win only cons. The only thing i use it for is Mobile Phone Tools and a couple other choice programs this totals about three.

Blog<-- Read Me
Twitter<-- Follow Me
Facebook<-- Stalk Me

Old 07-09-2008, 11:51 PM
GB Newbie

I agree to what was posted above that Linux and Windows have both their own advantages and disadvantages. And it also depends on how user uses it.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:50 AM
GB Newbie

Maybe I am wrong, but isn't Windows easier to get than Linux. I often talked to people and they told me to go for Linux. I noticed also that some of hosts for website also said Linux is a better way to go. I am used to a windows operating system. How hard would it be to switch is it worth the time and price?