Linux Chat

Building Websites

Computer Forums

Computer Help Forum

Computer Hardware Forum

Computer Software Programs

Go Back   Computer Forums > Building Websites
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Building Websites This section covers all aspects of publishing, developing and maintaining websites. Topics include: website design, graphic design, website programming, web hosting, website marketing (SEO, link exchange, publicity, advertising), monetization & etc.

Computer Geeks
» Active Discussions
Computer Geeks
No Threads to Display.
» Other Websites
- Software Publishing

- Server Hardening

Old 07-19-2007, 06:19 AM
GB Beginner

Default Mono Project...Asp.Net for Linux?

Anyone install the Mono Project? I am looking into it, but I currently have Tomcat installed for JSP. Would installing Mono causes issues between the two? Plus, I don't really know how to install anything on Linux, so that's been keeping me for trying it out.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:00 PM
Moderator ++
GB Guru

What linux do you have, Installing new software is usually done with the package manager which make it pretty simple, IF you have to compile the software and install most distributions makes this pretty simple as well.

Most of the time the softwares site has a how to on the installation most of the Linux distros are close to the same. My recommendation is try it when you run into a problem the not the errors you get and post them so that we know what to tell you to do.

As for the software you are asking about no i have never used it my servers are fairly simple and straight to the point. L.A.M.P. only

Blog<-- Read Me
Twitter<-- Follow Me
Facebook<-- Stalk Me

Old 07-21-2007, 02:57 AM
Administrator
GB Admin
GB GEEK

I've never heard of the Mono Project before, but it looks very interesting. Here's a link if anyone wants to check it out: www.mono-project.com

I wonder how well optimized the .net applications will be when running on linux with Mono... They will probably run better in the native Windows environment, just my guess, though.

This Mono Project will probably help .Net be a bit more competitive with Java in regards to cross-platform compatibility.

In regards to Tomcat, I don't know if Mono will interfere. If you have a spare system, maybe just try it out. Or, if you don't have a spare system, you could probably test it using Microsoft Virtual PC to run a linux virtual server on your Windows workstation and test it from there. I used Microsoft Virtual PC with testing various CentOS configs and it worked fine.