Computer Gaming

Linux Chat

Building Websites

Computer Forums

Computer Help Forum

Computer Hardware Forum

Computer Software Programs

Go Back   Computer Forums > Building Websites

Building Websites This section covers all aspects of publishing, developing and maintaining websites. Topics include: website design, graphic design, website programming, web hosting, website marketing (SEO, link exchange, publicity, advertising), monetization & etc.

Computer Geeks
» Active Discussions
Computer Geeks
No Threads to Display.
» Other Websites
- Software Publishing

- Server Hardening

Old 04-06-2006, 03:52 PM
GB Beginner

Couple more questions...

1. What does 1MB in 660GB out mean. Im guessing 660GB out is the one I should be concerned about. That seems like a ton. Is that right?

2. How do I know if I should request more power?

3. What is the difference between KVM over IP and SSH. If KVM over IP is so great why don't they just leave it on all the time.

4. If I colocate with colostore.com, I will be able to request additional IP to set up my own DNS servers, right? or do they alread have their own DNS servers set up?

5. Out of curiosity, what does "Fully Meshed BGP Network with diversified carriers" mean?

6. Another curiosity question: What do these all mean:

Network Options

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
$100 Cross Connects
$50 Access filter list
$50 BGP Accounement
$5 Telco line charge
( Telco charge not included )

Should I be interested in any of these?

Thanks
Old 04-06-2006, 05:17 PM
GB GEEK

Send a message via MSN to Soulwatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefsmurph
Couple more questions...

1. What does 1MB in 660GB out mean. Im guessing 660GB out is the one I should be concerned about. That seems like a ton. Is that right?

2. How do I know if I should request more power?

3. What is the difference between KVM over IP and SSH. If KVM over IP is so great why don't they just leave it on all the time.

4. If I colocate with colostore.com, I will be able to request additional IP to set up my own DNS servers, right? or do they alread have their own DNS servers set up?

5. Out of curiosity, what does "Fully Meshed BGP Network with diversified carriers" mean?

Network Options

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
$100 Cross Connects
$50 Access filter list
$50 BGP Accounement
$5 Telco line charge

Thanks
They are just making it sound fancy, 1mb in = 330GB and 1mb out = 330GB for a total of 660GB. In reality you can only transfer 330GB.

Your server shouldn't need more power 2amps is plenty of power.

You use KVM over IP when your server is no longer responding to SSH.

The colostore gives you 5 IP addresses which is more than enough to run your own DNS.

I have no idea what #5 means you would have ask the colostore. And you wouldn't need any of those services from #6.
Old 04-15-2006, 09:49 AM
GB Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefsmurph

Network Options

$100 Cross Connects
$50 Access filter list
$50 BGP Accounement
$5 Telco line charge

Thanks
Just thought I'd add a few bits. Most of the above, you won't need to worry about.

5) A fully meshed network is one where every individual router has a direct connection to every other router in the data center. In general, this is expensive, but provides a lot of redundancy and quick connections between any 2 points in the data center.

BGP stands for Borer Gateway Protocol, and it is a protocol where each router announces the networks that it can route to, along with a cost (ie. the number of hops) associated with that route.

Together, it means that if one route goes down, it will no longer be announced via BGP, and the routers will automatically re-route traffic by the next lowest cost route in accordance with the various announcements made onto the network.

BGP announcements are how the internet holds together on an IP level. Needless to say, the above description is way over simplified.

6) I'll cover these one by one. Note that some of these may have data center specific meanings, so could be slightly wrong.

$100 Cross Connects
This seems expensive, it usually refers to the cost of conneccting together equipment in differant parts of the data center. Was this a one off cost ? I would expect it to be the cost of actually running cables between racks or servers, to make up a private network.

$50 Access filter list
This usually just means you can have custom rules added to the data center firewall to limit which networks can access your server.

$50 BGP Accounement
You won't need this unless you are planning on having a large IP address space. When you manage your own IP address space, you need to have BGP announcements onto the internet carriers in order for your network to be found. Thats what BGP announcements do.

$5 Telco line charge
I think here they are refering to the cost of allowing you to get a telco to run a line directly to your server or rack.

Most of the above will be of little interest unless you are dealing with quarter racks or bigger. If you just loooking for colocating a 1u or 2u server, then you will normally get a cable run to the server in with the cost, and a monthly bandwidth allocation.

You may also want to know if they offer an RRP (Remote Reboot Port) which is very useful when your server crashes during bootup. Also, ask for clarification on the bandwidth, as all sorts of tricks are used when describing what you get. For example, rackspace offer unlkimited bandwidth, but throttle the server to 2 Mb/s in each direction, therefore limiting the bandwidth indirectly.
Old 04-15-2006, 11:03 PM
GB Beginner

thanks a lot. great explanations
Old 07-23-2008, 03:37 AM
GB Newbie

Do you adress to Colocation data center?
http://www.developers.net/tsearch?se...on+data+center
Old 09-01-2008, 01:30 AM
GB Newbie

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamer980 View Post
Do you adress to Colocation data center?
http://www.developers.net/tsearch?se...on+data+center
Its under construction Lamer,do you have any other address.
Old 09-09-2008, 03:02 AM
GB Newbie

"I've been looking for a cost effective (ie, cheap) way to remotely administer several servers running a variety of OS's, and would like to have a solution that would allow for monitoring of the bios on startup, etc (ie, not VNC). The most appealing solution is KVM over IP, which really just means a souped up KVM switch with something like VNC running on it, unfortunately all of the solutions I've been able to find are more expensive than I can justify spending. I've played around a bit with making my own Poor man's KVM over IP; I did this by purchasing a cheap (sub $50) VGA-to-NTSC convertor, then feeding it into a video card with NTSC input (the ATI All-In-Wonder Radion), and then by logging into a machine running Windows Terminal Services I'm able to watch the reboot process. Of course, this doesn't address the mouse/keyboard issue, and the quality isn't all that great. What I'm hoping is that someone else might have a suggestion on how to do this, preferably using Linux and the least hardware necessary. Does anyone have any suggestions or insights on ways to do this?"
Old 09-11-2008, 01:23 AM
GB Newbie

• Lower price per port
  • SSH v.2 encrypted connection with many authentication schemes
  • Sun Break-Safe
  • PC Card slot for scalable port buffering
  • Wi-Fi or dial-up modem
  • Server-specific converter cables
Old 09-18-2008, 10:54 PM
GB Newbie

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndraJoseph View Post
Its under construction Lamer,do you have any other address.

Its now working Andra and thanks Lamer for this help. I have found all the tutorials and other material regarding languages coding on one platform, really informative.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:28 AM
GB Newbie

I've been running a Web site for 8 years on various hosting services and for a number of reasons would now like to move it to my own server.

I am now using about 40gB/month. What is the real total monthly cost of colocating a server at Fluid Hosting?

I am just beginning this process and haven't purchased a server yet. Can anyone recommend a good and affordable Linux server that would be suited for colocation. Rack mount or tower? Any advice is appreciated.