Computer Gaming

Linux Chat

Building Websites

Computer Forums

Computer Help Forum

Computer Hardware Forum

Computer Software Programs

Go Back   Computer Forums > Linux Chat

Linux Chat Linux geeks unite! Discuss anything related to the Linux operating system here.

Computer Geeks
» Active Discussions
Computer Geeks
No Threads to Display.
» Other Websites
- Software Publishing

- Server Hardening

Old 04-05-2006, 04:06 AM
GB Beginner

Angry Setup DNS for Webserver

hi! im a bit noob to linux.. im have setup a webserver running on CentOS Linux but my problem is, domain registration (godaddy) requiring me to supply at least 2 nameservers. Can anyone explain me or just give me a link how DNS work.

Thanks in advanced.
Old 04-05-2006, 03:59 PM
GB GEEK

Send a message via MSN to Soulwatcher

DNS servers is how people find your website on the Internet. When you type www.mydomain.com it goes to your domain register, then it goes to the DNS servers, then they tell the computer what IP the website is using. www.zoneedit.com provides a free DNS service, is this a home webserver or is this a dedicated server? If its a dedicated server your provider should provide free DNS service.

Also are you wanting to set up your own DNS server on your webserver? I need more information if I am going to be able to help you.
Old 04-06-2006, 02:19 AM
GB Beginner

thx for the immediate reply..

yes, i wanted to setup 2 dns servers on my home network to facilitate my web server.. right now im just doing some google search because i really dont have idea howto deal with the setup and configuration needed to run my own dns servers.

my question is, my webserver is running on Linux CentOS, do i need to setup another 2 pc's running same operating system (centos) to configure as my dns servers? coz i have read about DNS and BIND setting dns servers for Master/Slave setup. does it also need to have a web server installed on both?

i was just thinking that DNS server is for the purpose if my web server is down then the other may act as my secondary. please explain how it work . sorry for all my dumb questions .. but i want to learn from people i can say qualified to this field.
Old 04-06-2006, 02:49 AM
GB GEEK

Well in order to run your own DNS servers your going to need 2 static IP addresses. You could set up BIND and set it to listen on the two ip addresses and give your server two IP addresses. And just use one DNS server for your server. And just tell your register your dns servers are ns1.yourdomain.com = IP 1 and ns2.yourdomain.com = IP 2. And that would work, if your primary DNS server is off line that usually means your server is down. When my old server was co-located for 6 months I ran the DNS server like that for 6 months, never had a problem.

Personally I wouldn't run a DNS server on a home webserver. Linux Server Talk is powered by a home webserver. And we use DNS made easy, DNS service for 25 domains for $59.95. And there is also the free DNS service from www.zoneedit.com. Zone Edit offers free DNS service for up to 5 domains.

If your dead set on running your own DNS server I would install a control panel like www.webmin.com. Webmin has a GUI interface for setting up Bind. It makes it really easy. And if you install Virtualadmin with webmin, virtualmin will set up everything for you. DNS (Bind), http, ftp and email, all at a touch of a button.

EDIT: www.dnsmadeeasy.com is our DNS service provider.
Old 04-06-2006, 05:02 AM
GB Beginner

Default home webserver vs dedicated webserver

btw, you have mention about home webserver and dedicated webserver on ur previous reply.. whats the difference?

this afternoon i called up my ISP and request for temporary DNS to supply on my webserver just to test it out.. unfortunately, they don't give DNS for Dynamic IP's subscription. No Luck

..you have said 2 static ip address for dns servers? provided by my ISP? or Local IP's (e.g 192.168.x.x). ill be setting up DNS server soon
Old 04-06-2006, 06:24 AM
GB GEEK

A home webserver is a webserver hosted off of a cable modem, DSL, and in some rare cases a T1 from home. A dedicated/co-located server is a server hosted by a company like www.colostore.com or www.layeredtech.com ect.

I don't know who your ISP provider is, but in order to run your own DNS server you need a static IP from your ISP provider. Some ISP providers provide this service for a small fee.

You could run your own DNS server off of 1 IP. And use www.zoneedit.com as your secondary DNS server. They do offer a secondary DNS service. But the first thing you need to do is get a static IP.

I am not trying to discourage you, and I do not know how many websites you plan to host. But it would take you less than 5 minutes to set up Zone Edit. They even offer a dynamic DNS update service, you can run a program to update your IP every time it changes. And you will not have to pay for a static IP address. Unless you can buy two static IP addresses off of your ISP provider you still are going to have to use a secondary DNS service. I would say 99.9% of the home webservers do not run their own DNS service.
Old 04-07-2006, 08:14 PM
GB Beginner

THANKS Soulwatcher.. my server is now up and running after i registered to zoneedit.com.

its now clear for me.. that setting up a home webserver doesnt necessarily need to setup your own DNS servers and zoneedit is a good start for those who wanted to setup home webserver at ease.

again Thanks!
Old 04-08-2006, 01:41 PM
GB GEEK

No problem pitsug, I am glad I could help.