Computer Gaming

Linux Chat

Building Websites

Computer Forums

Computer Help Forum

Computer Hardware Forum

Computer Software Programs

Go Back   Computer Forums > Building Websites

Building Websites This section covers all aspects of publishing, developing and maintaining websites. Topics include: website design, graphic design, website programming, web hosting, website marketing (SEO, link exchange, publicity, advertising), monetization & etc.

Computer Geeks
» Active Discussions
Computer Geeks
No Threads to Display.
» Other Websites
- Software Publishing

- Server Hardening

Old 03-09-2006, 04:51 PM
GB Beginner

Default Interworx Vs Cpanel

I was just wondering first what your preference between the 2 is and then also what are the major differences between the 2
Old 03-09-2006, 05:32 PM
GB GEEK

Send a message via MSN to Soulwatcher

Well I will say for certain cPanel is the industry leader. If your planning on offering paid hosting, cPanel is the only way to go. If its just for personal use I would compare the features of the two. And pick the one that suits you best.
Old 03-11-2006, 03:06 PM
GB Beginner

I have never heard of Interworx but I know that Cpanel is awesome. I have never had any problems with it. Normally with programs you are always saying to yourself "I wish I could do this or that" But with Cpanel I have never caught myself wishing for new features. It is superior in all my experiences, both on the seller/reseller side and the client side.
Old 03-12-2006, 12:02 PM
GB Newbie

I am not running my own hosting, but I am hosted with cPanel. I have to confess it's OK for me. It has some features indeed, although i don't quite spend such a long time there. Would rather spend time on my sites not the panel
Old 03-17-2006, 07:03 PM
GB Beginner

Send a message via AIM to Julian

Cpanel is what I use and what most use I believe. It is easy to use, "If it's not broke, then don't fix it." You said it's fine, stay with it.
Old 03-21-2006, 01:35 AM
GB Beginner

I have never used cpanel only interworx my last 3 host have used it. I was just wondering what if any is the difference between the 2. anyway thanks for the info
Old 04-12-2006, 02:55 PM
GB Beginner

I have 2 servers running cpanel, and 1 running interworx. In all honesty, I much prefer interworx. Cpanel has far more features, though interworx is coming along. But I have a dual core opteron 64 running RHEL 64, and cpanel does not run well on 64 bit OS's currently. So I went looking for another control panel, and ended up buying interworx.

The thing I really hate about cpanel is that it completely takes over your server, and installs it's own versions of various software utilities. So you cannot use the standard OS version of apache and have to be very careful when running anything unusual like PHP5 and Apache2 as with cpanel, they have been in BETA for what seems like a lifetime.

The only things I dislike about interworx are the fact that you cannot allow customer accounts to edit their DNS records, that requires a reseller account (same as with cpanel), and it does not allow you to create normal end user accounts that support multiple domains (cpanel has that through addon domains). It does allow domain pointers.

Now, the thing I really like about interworx over cpanel are :-

It comes with a GUI for APF, and installs APF as part of the normal install.

Shell accounts can be run in a chroot environment. Much better than jail shell from cpanel.

It installs it's own version of php, just for the use of the panel, so you can install php5 on the main server if you wish.

It automatically installs SIM (System Integrity Monitor).

It has built in functionality to allow you to cluster servers together, which could be very useful for large forum or download sites.

So basically, interworx is more secure out of the box. The GUI looks much better than the cpanel one, and you don't have to do anything in perl to customize it (Cpanel uses a lot of perl for anyone that doesn't know). As it has a proper web services style interface, interworx is also much easier to control from billing systems and similar.

Overall, of the two, I would still tend to have a cpoanel server if I was hosting customers, but would be more likely to go with interworx by default, moving them to cpanel only when they asked. Generally, interworx just gives you a feeling of quality in use, and when you look at the structure of the system whereas cpanel gives the impression that it is held together with sticky tape.

Also, interworx comes with a fantastico style installer as standard, and full info on how to add your own auto install packages. I know cpanel also has a built in installer now (though still listed as BETA) but it has no documentation on how to add additional packages.
Old 04-12-2006, 10:05 PM
GB GEEK

Send a message via MSN to Soulwatcher

Interworx doesn't seem that bad, I may have to look into it and buy it. Next year I am going to build a dual processor server. More than likely its going to be a Operton processor server. I really would like to run a 64bit OS. I tryed in the past but I seem to have lots of problems running it. Hopefully the problems will be cleared up by then. (or I will know more about the OS )
Old 04-13-2006, 07:53 AM
GB Beginner

Well, I'm currently fairly new to the 64 bit version of Centos, but so far, I haven't had a single problem with interworx in connection with the OS version. In fact, the only problem I have had is that horde runs really slowly for some reason. But I'm sure I'll get to the bottom of that when I can be bothered to look into it.
Old 04-13-2006, 10:45 PM
GB Newbie

I can't really compare these since i have only used cPanel. I have never had a problem with it though. Its all good to me.