Computer Gaming

Linux Chat

Building Websites

Computer Forums

Computer Help Forum

Computer Hardware Forum

Computer Software Programs

Go Back   Computer Forums > Building Websites

Building Websites This section covers all aspects of publishing, developing and maintaining websites. Topics include: website design, graphic design, website programming, web hosting, website marketing (SEO, link exchange, publicity, advertising), monetization & etc.

Computer Geeks
» Active Discussions
Computer Geeks
No Threads to Display.
» Other Websites
- Software Publishing

- Server Hardening

Old 03-10-2006, 10:50 PM
GB Beginner

Default What exactly is co-location?

What is a co-location server? Are you actually next to the physical server or is it like a dedicated server where you can do whatever you want to the server, but it could be half way around the world?
Old 03-10-2006, 11:34 PM
GB GEEK

Send a message via MSN to Soulwatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomainerZone
What is a co-location server? Are you actually next to the physical server or is it like a dedicated server where you can do whatever you want to the server, but it could be half way around the world?
Its like a dedicated server you ship the server to a data center and remote login/use the server from home. I live in michigan and my server is in South Bend, Indiana. And I control it from home just like if it was sitting next to me.
Old 03-11-2006, 02:47 AM
GB Beginner

So it's like a dedicated server, but you send them the server instead of using one of theirs?
Old 03-11-2006, 09:05 AM
GB GEEK

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomainerZone
So it's like a dedicated server, but you send them the server instead of using one of theirs?
Right you send your own server. And they hook it up on their network. But the difference is, you build the server the way you want. You pick the motherboard, processor, ram, hard drives, ect. And you also pick the OS and what ever file format your going to use. The server that runs Linux Server Talk is totally custom. From the processor down to the server case. All parts were hand picked by me. I also picked the OS (all dedicated server providers let you pick the OS) and made the file system the way I wanted it.

The only down side, is if something goes wrong you have to fix it. In the last 3 years of running my own servers. I haven't had a single breakdown. (knock on wood) Just remember when you build your own server you get what you pay for. Do you really want to use a $49.00 motherboard in something thats going to be running 24/7 x 365? The answer is heck no. Can you get away with it? Maybe, but is it worth the risk?

Co-location is a big step, if something breaks down the data center is going to charge you $75 per hour to fix it. (most data centers) On top of that you are going to have to ship them parts to fix it. Which means your server could be down for days. Unless you buy the parts off them at a premium. Just remember use quality name brand parts and you shouldn't have a problem.
Old 03-11-2006, 03:02 PM
GB Beginner

Yea I have been learning about colocation from these guys and it seems like a viable resource when running a server. It can save you some money and can also save you a little hastle in some cases. Atleast that is what I have gathered.
Old 03-12-2006, 10:49 AM
GB Beginner

I'm curious what the benefits are of having it in co - location then? Why not just run it in your basement? That way, you save plenty of costs, and if it does break down, you can fix it yourself.

I'm not sure I'm understanding any of the benefits for a co-location...especially if you have to pay for, build, and ship your own server to them...
Old 03-12-2006, 11:45 AM
GB GEEK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue
I'm curious what the benefits are of having it in co - location then? Why not just run it in your basement? That way, you save plenty of costs, and if it does break down, you can fix it yourself.

I'm not sure I'm understanding any of the benefits for a co-location...especially if you have to pay for, build, and ship your own server to them...
Well for one, unless you plan on running a DS3 line to your house. Any busy webserver is going to max your DSL, Cable, T1 line in no time at all. The website I plan on launching next month is going to transfer between 500GB to 1,000GB per month. 1,000GB per months is like 5mbps, a T1 is only 1.5mbps. So unless you plan on running low traffic websites. There is no way you are going to get enough bandwidth with out buying a DS3 line. Which is out of 99.9% peoples budget.

Next problem you have is, what if the power goes out? Unless you have a UPS and a generator, your website is going to be off line until the power comes back on. Next problem you have is security, what if some one breaks in your home and steals your server? Your website and all the information on your server is gone. Data centers have multiple security measures to make sure your equipment is safe.

You could get away with hosting a few small websites from home. But you will not be able to host any thing serious from home. The Internet has serious income potential. Millions of people make a living off the Internet. You could too with the right planning.
Old 03-13-2006, 06:46 AM
GB Beginner

Thanks for the enlighment Soul. I can see now, why doing co-location is smart. I didn't think about those other factors such as power outage and such.

I guess that's a small price to pay (co-location) for an ease of mind - and for security issues with the site, to insure that it's always running.
Old 03-19-2006, 09:20 AM
GB Newbie

Send a message via MSN to cyberhostuk

There's a great site that lists the pro's and con's of colocation as well as explaining the basics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colocation

Hope it helps!