View Single Post
Old 02-21-2006, 06:46 AM
GB GEEK

Send a message via MSN to Soulwatcher

Welcome Jason,

My good friend, I am glad you found your way to our forum. I hope you like your stay here.

Thats quite a collection of servers you have there. I can tell you really like Dell. My last server was a Dell Power Edge Sc 600. It started life as a P4 1.8GHZ with 256MB of ram and a 40GB hard drive. Ever sense I was a kid I couldn't leave any thing stock. I ended up taking the server to the local computer shop where they replaced the P4 1.8GHZ with a P4 2.5GHZ. The server didn't like the new processor at all. They had to flash the bios. After that everything was fine. I also added 768MB of ram and replaced the 40GB hard drive. I added two 160GB Maxtor ATA133 hard drives, running software raid 1. I also added a 250GB ATA100 Western Digital Back up drive. I ran the server like that for over a year with no problems. I think Dell makes a quality product and they really stand behind their product.

As for your operating system Fedora seems quite popular around here. What I like about Fedora is its cutting edge technology. Red hat does their testing with Fedora and incorporates allot from Fedora into their main stream products. You really get the best of both worlds. Fedora is backed by Red hat and you get to test the latest and greatest before anyone else in the Red hat market.

P.S. In case anyone is wondering Qball15j and Jason are my long time friends from another forum.