View Single Post
Old 04-19-2006, 07:07 AM
GB Beginner

If you can physically get to the data center without too much trouble, then I don't see a problem. Also, if the site concerrned is not critical, and you can afford to lose a weeks worth of data, I don't see a problem. However, if your data is more important than that, then you have to assume that at some point, you are going to have a hardware failure which will prevent you from getting to your second hard drive (like the controller card failing or a processor/psu popping). If that is a nightmare scenerio, then you need to consider backing up to a remote server via SSH or similar.

Currently, with the newest server, we have decided to pay for NAS backup space ($10 for 20 MB, and available from lots of places). Once this is setup, I will be scripting a daily backup of all databases to this space. So if we had a server failure, I would just need to recover the static parts of the sites. With the static content, most people have backups of that part from when they are putting the site together, so that is usually enough for most purposes.