View Single Post
Old 03-16-2006, 10:53 PM
GB GEEK

Send a message via MSN to Soulwatcher

I just wanted to own my own server. Their was no set point. I started off hosting my own server off of a Cable modem, then I switched to DSL. And then back to a Cable modem. Right now I have a Business Class Cable modem from Comcast. They allow you to run servers off of it. My connection is 6,200kb/s down and 730kb/s up. Thats more than enough to run a small server. I could transfer 160GB+ per month easy. I could run all of my websites off that connection with ease. Running my server off of a Cable and DSL modem was a great learning experience. It taught me allot about servers.

But I wanted more, so I choose co-location. I wouldn't say I want to get rich but I would like to make the server at least pay for its self. And in the same note I would like to earn a little extra money. Right now I am sitting on 15 domain names with 1 developed website. Tomorrow I am launching another website, and I am going to work on the two websites for the next month or so before I launch another. I hope to have 6 fully developed websites by the end of the year. I am releasing them in stages to see how much they are going to stress the server.

The type of websites I am developing are not really good for a shared hosting environment. They put a major stress on the server. A web hosting provider would kick me off of their server in not time flat. So really I have no choice but to run my own servers. This time next year I will be running two to three servers depending on how much my websites stress the server.

P.S. I refuse to start up another server until this one starts paying for its self. Which is $49.99 per month, that shouldn't be to hard to make. (I hope )