View Single Post
Old 03-31-2006, 01:28 AM
GB GEEK

Send a message via MSN to Soulwatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetanotherfcw
I think that the main concern is the cost. There are a bunch of things I'd like to do, but I always have to look at costs and make decisions. Server administration is certainly one of them. How much does it cost usually? Also how can I verify the validity of the server administration server? Suppose that I learn how to administer my server on my own. How difficult is it? How long does it take for me to learn basics? How much time should I spend every day to administer my server?
Well if your going to hire a company your looking at $30 to $60+ per month. Depending on who you hire. I have used www.acunett.com in the past and I can highly recommend their services.

As far as learning it your self, that all depends on what you want to learn. Is your server harden? If not your at a high risk of being hacked. Even if your server is harden, some one could hack you if they really wanted to.

I usually spend about 15 minutes to a half hour going over my server logs/server each day. I also run a RDD tool much like MRTG. I check the history of the server daily, CPU usage, load, and bandwidth. I also have another tool installed that tells me how much ram the server is using, and how much space is on the hard drives. I am always checking for anything out of the ordinary that might indicate that the server has been hacked.