View Single Post
Old 05-06-2006, 04:57 PM
GB Advanced User

I bought several hosting accounts of eBay. Usually you aren't buying it from the sever owner, but someone with either a VPS account or some type of reseller account. They might have no idea what they are doing, but they can usually forward your question to who they are getting the hosting from to get you an answer.

The problem I have is that some of them have no idea how to run the server. I bought hosting about 4 different times that after I got everything set up, they shut down. Some offered the lame unlimited everything deal and shortly ran out of something. Other's make up stupid rules as they go along to kick people off their servers to make a little bit of money (they kick you off before the time you paid for is up).

One person I bought hosting from lost my payment information, so they deleted my account. After complaining for a week, everything of theirs, their site, their auctions, everything, were gone.

I have bought some good hosting from there, though. One of them was good, but not enough space as I needed and they honored their money back guarantee. Another one I am still using because of their quick support and service. It basically depends on who you are getting it from, but just because it's on eBay and relatively cheap doesn't mean it's going to be bad. You just have to be careful and know who you are buying it from.