View Single Post
Old 04-01-2009, 04:25 PM
Administrator
GB Admin
GB GEEK

Back when I was in college one of my professors covered this topic as part of the class. One aspect we discussed was the likelihood of life on other planets based on probability of what we already know or can approximate.

I do not remember the specific numbers, but it basically we gathered data that approximated the number of planets in the universe. Then used probability to determine the number of planets that might be in the right place in their solar system with the necessary star, etc.

After that, we took the periodic table of the elements and determined the random probability that there would be a mix of the elements that could sustain life as we know it.

After that, it was just a matter of applying our probability to the number of planets..... the resulting number just based on probability was quite large. I'm not certain, but I think the final number (based on random probability calculations) was 50,000 planets in the universe that have the right mix for supporting life as we understand it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomprecision View Post
Did you know that there are many people (and some who work in the government) who want the government to come clean about what they know about UFOs? I heard about the "Million Fax on Washington" project a couple months ago. It's goal is to pressure President-elect Obama to have UFO disclosure in 2009, which would put these questions to rest with governmental acknowledgment of UFOs.
I've read that the British government is in the process of releasing all of their official UFO related research. They already began the process, but I think they still have quite a lot of info that will be released in the very near future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomprecision View Post
Larry King did his New Year's Eve show on a UFO debate, which was pretty lively, but too short given the subject matter. In general we can see a trend to cover this topic more heavily, it seems to be getting much more media attention than in years before.
I watched that show. It was really interesting. You're right that it was too short.