View Single Post
Old 03-04-2006, 09:29 AM
GB GEEK

Send a message via MSN to Soulwatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMeffert
I might disagree because I just started using linux about a month ago and I was talking to Jason about it and he helped me get it installed and everything. He suggested that I just use the command line and now I am happy I did because the GUI takes up a lot more resourses so then those resourses can not be used for the programs that serve your files. Also if you work at it and learn the commands it becomes a lot faster to edit and change things then it would be in the GUI.
Well I will disagree with you on this one. Depending on the computer skill level of the person. Command line might not be the best choice for a beginner. My wife has Limited computer skills, If I were to ssh into my server. And ask her to reboot the server. She would look at me like I was crazy. Their is really only two ways to learn Linux. A# You buy a book and study your butt off. Or B# You have someone helping you along the way.

If you choose A your not going to be able to do anything with the server. With out hours and hours of reading. And even then you still might be a little confused. If you run the GUI you can jump right in the minute you installed Linux. And you can experiment with the command line as you go. Once you master the command line which should not take any longer than a couple weeks to a month. You can reformat the server and run it command line mode.

Or B, you have someone to help you set up the server. They tell you what command does what and they guide you along. I think this is the easiest method of learning Linux. Hands on experience plus someone guiding you along is going to teach you more than you could get from any book. Thats just my 2 cents.