View Single Post
Old 03-12-2006, 11:45 AM
GB GEEK

Send a message via MSN to Soulwatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue
I'm curious what the benefits are of having it in co - location then? Why not just run it in your basement? That way, you save plenty of costs, and if it does break down, you can fix it yourself.

I'm not sure I'm understanding any of the benefits for a co-location...especially if you have to pay for, build, and ship your own server to them...
Well for one, unless you plan on running a DS3 line to your house. Any busy webserver is going to max your DSL, Cable, T1 line in no time at all. The website I plan on launching next month is going to transfer between 500GB to 1,000GB per month. 1,000GB per months is like 5mbps, a T1 is only 1.5mbps. So unless you plan on running low traffic websites. There is no way you are going to get enough bandwidth with out buying a DS3 line. Which is out of 99.9% peoples budget.

Next problem you have is, what if the power goes out? Unless you have a UPS and a generator, your website is going to be off line until the power comes back on. Next problem you have is security, what if some one breaks in your home and steals your server? Your website and all the information on your server is gone. Data centers have multiple security measures to make sure your equipment is safe.

You could get away with hosting a few small websites from home. But you will not be able to host any thing serious from home. The Internet has serious income potential. Millions of people make a living off the Internet. You could too with the right planning.