View Single Post
Old 03-24-2006, 05:41 PM
GB Beginner

Default Colocating Basic Questions

I've got a few questions about colocation that are really really basic. I've had my server sitting at home in my room for about a year now and I think its time to colocate it. Right now I've been using a laptop as the server with linux (of course) because my connection has been the limiting factor.

If I went for colocation, I would want to buy a server server (what does this mean?), right? or could I just use a plain computer with just a fast processor? How much should I be looking to spend on a new server? What do I have to take into account when buying stuff? What are "racks" and are they a necessity? If I colocated a server, I would drive it over there and dump it off at the datacenter? What if I chose a datacenter 1000 miles away from me? Is this jump something I have to take into account? What is the difference between a 1U and a midsize tower server? Is there an easy way to determine how much bandwith I will need?

I think Im going to go with colostore because soulwatcher seems to like them and their prices seem to be pretty good. I realize these are really really basic questions, but I have to start somewhere.