Thread: Your OS
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2006, 11:52 PM
GB Advanced User

I use Windows XP Pro, Mac OSX, CentOS, Fedora Core 4, and Ubuntu (PC and Mac).

There is still a lot of stuff that requires Windows, so I have to have that. Mac OSX has a Linux backend. I got it to do some designing and programming just to say I have Mac experience. It's not bad. It's a little weird to get used compared to Windows, but I like it.

CentOS and Fedora Core 4 are both test servers I use. Fedora Core 4 is the free version of Red Hat. That's really the only reason I got it. However, I definitely like CentOS more. It's supported more and overall a better choice for a server setup.

Ubuntu is the Linux designed Windows replacement OS. It's the one that most educational and third world country computer projects use to avoid the Windows licensing fees. It's not a bad setup, but I wouldn't choice it for a server. What I really hate about it and every Linux distro is installing files. Unless you find it in a repository, the amount of work it takes to get the file, unpack it, and get rid of dependancy errors kind of ruins everything. Someone needs to make an open source version of the exe file. Other than that, I like it.