View Single Post
Old 03-16-2006, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator
GB Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomainerZone
I still don't fully understand what I need. A hub broadcasts to everything, a switch doesn't, so what's a router? If you needed to do this, what thing would you be buying, the exact make and model (and a link to newegg.com or somewhere were I could buy that thing, if you have a link)?
Mostly all residential-grade routers these days have atleast a 4 port intergrated switch. I would just buy a switch to connect up to one of the ports on your current router.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMeffert
I have two d-link routers. I set router to 192.168.0.1 and the other router to 192.168.0.2 and that seems to work. I just connected them by connecting one router to the other from one LAN port to the other with a normal cable. The secound router does not seem to do anything but add ports. I did not have to setup port forwarding or the firewall or anything on the secound router. I think it must sence the other router because the other router has ports blocked and then port forwarding and everything for the server.

Is it going to slow down my server by having it go through two routers and then out to the internet?
Only if you go through the WAN port on the second router, thats the only time you will need to worry about forwarding ports. You won't notice any speed difference going through the second router.