View Single Post
Old 07-01-2006, 09:36 AM
Moderator ++
GB Guru

Ok now i fully understand what you are doing here. I think since you have no existing system , I recommend that you look around and find a software that you like.. There are several linux distros on the market (or net) and right now i use debian 3.1 r2 with KDE 3.2 which i like alot. I am personally using an unstable version (etch) for my Desktop Enviroment but my server is using Sarge a stable system and i have no problems at all. There are several diffrent choices you can make SuSe, RedHat, Mandrivia, Unbuntoo, Debian, Cent, Fedora, i can keep going its all on personall preference I will recommemnd what i use because i like it. others will recommend what they use because they like i

One more question for you: The software you are going to use to keep track and print lables is this software for RedHat?

Becausse if it is then Cent OS would be your best choice, as for hardware that will be a great system something that powerfull mixed with linux will be a great choice, if you use something new you won't have an issue with security as long as you keep it updated. Since linux could be repaired with linux it is much safer to use in case of a failure with the Operating System (You can recover the data using a live cd which have even done for windows)

And back tio your original Question
Quote:
I'm looking for suggestions on actual mobo, CPU,
MSI and ASUS are the mobo that i prefer to use. I personally use a Pentium 4 3.6 Processor on one machine and an AMD 64 on the other both my machine have 3 gig ram one is windows the other is linux and the linux is much faster then the windows [OS Wise] but i think the processors have about the same speed. Whn you buy this system look for specific name brands that are know well, this will help linux find the right drivers for your system i use nVidia Video, Creative Audio, Gigabit Ethernet Adapters.

Basically what i caould say for that is you pay for what you get, don't buy cheap most cheap you have to compile you own drivers, stick with brands you trust.

I hope that this answered your question.

Blog<-- Read Me
Twitter<-- Follow Me
Facebook<-- Stalk Me