View Single Post
Old 06-30-2006, 10:41 AM
Administrator
GB Admin
GB GEEK

Using RH 8.0 probably isn't much of an issue as long as it's running on a private network. If connected to the Internet, etc, you might want to go with an OS that is currently supported - especially with security updates. Red Hat no longer supports 8.0 and I believe Progeny did for a while after Red Hat dropped support for it, but I believe their update service for 8.0 has ended as well.

I don't know from first-hand experience, but I think the main issue you may come across would be using state of the art hardware with an older OS that may not have driver support for all the components. The best stability would probably come from hardware that was around just before RH 8.0 came out, this way you would be more likely to not have any driver issues.

A while back I installed RH 7.3 on an ASUS A7N8X-Deluxe motherboard and everything seemed fine. I didn't run that system in a production environment, though. I ran it as a development server for a short while. The A7N8X-E-Deluxe has built-in gigabit ethernet, although I am not sure about driver support for that in RH 8.0.

The A7N8X is a consumer type motherboard, not really meant for enterprise/server type stuff - although it would probably work fine.

As you're looking for what would work best, I think generally the higher end hardware - but you still need to be sure that RH 8.0 would run fine on it.

Sounds as though you are replacing an existing system... does it currently lag at all? You might focus on the bottleneck and just make sure to increase capacity there where it is needed most.