View Single Post
Old 04-20-2006, 02:10 PM
GB Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian
When did you guys feel that it was time to get on server. Did you just want one because you wanted to mess around, or did you want to start a company based around your server?
I wanted to host my own website cuz i dont like paying 5$ per month to have it hosted.. So then i got this advertisment at school for an old p1 450Mhz "msn-computer", which was 50euro's So i was like.. 50/5=10months and i will have payed less AND have another funo computer. So then i went to pick it up and got a 150$ p3 1Ghz computer cuz i couldnt controll myself. And iam actually happy with the decision cuz now i also host project of my friends.

I also wanted to mess around w. linux. So i got a lot of terminal experience from setting up the server. And now i switched my desktop to run ubuntu, but iam looking at switching to SuSe 10.1 when it comes out. I WANT GLX, or whatever its called. And i still need to get my ati-card to have accelarted 3D graphics so i can play counterstrike. Which i managed to run via wine but it freezes for 20seconds cuz of the stupid drivers.

Btw the proxy thing.. just kill it off? i mean like u said its a server killer so why keep it?