View Single Post
Old 03-11-2006, 09:05 AM
GB GEEK

Send a message via MSN to Soulwatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomainerZone
So it's like a dedicated server, but you send them the server instead of using one of theirs?
Right you send your own server. And they hook it up on their network. But the difference is, you build the server the way you want. You pick the motherboard, processor, ram, hard drives, ect. And you also pick the OS and what ever file format your going to use. The server that runs Linux Server Talk is totally custom. From the processor down to the server case. All parts were hand picked by me. I also picked the OS (all dedicated server providers let you pick the OS) and made the file system the way I wanted it.

The only down side, is if something goes wrong you have to fix it. In the last 3 years of running my own servers. I haven't had a single breakdown. (knock on wood) Just remember when you build your own server you get what you pay for. Do you really want to use a $49.00 motherboard in something thats going to be running 24/7 x 365? The answer is heck no. Can you get away with it? Maybe, but is it worth the risk?

Co-location is a big step, if something breaks down the data center is going to charge you $75 per hour to fix it. (most data centers) On top of that you are going to have to ship them parts to fix it. Which means your server could be down for days. Unless you buy the parts off them at a premium. Just remember use quality name brand parts and you shouldn't have a problem.