View Single Post
Old 03-08-2006, 08:41 PM
GB GEEK

Send a message via MSN to Soulwatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperior Eric
I would say make sure you do plenty of research and are sure of what you want when you get it. I am currently researching everything about building my own server and there is a lot to learn before actually getting started.
Emperior Eric you make a very good point. I had allot of problems building my first 1u server. Nothing wanted to fit. (had to use the die grinder ) And on top of that it didn't like kernel 2.6. There was a fix for it, but I didn't have the patience to get it working. I sold it and built the server we are using now.

I didn't mess around with the server we are using now. I researched every part to make sure everything was going to fit. And this time I built a tower. The data center that we use takes towers or rack mounts. I choose a Intel LGA 775 processor. They run really hot, I could have crammed it into a 1u. But it probably would have had over heating problems.

Not only that I researched what kind of server I would need to support 300+ users on the server at the same time. And I came up with, that I would need at least a P4 3.0GHZ with 2GB of ram. So in theory this server can support 300+ users at the same time. Hopefully one day we will be able to test that theory. So as Emperior Eric said "research the server you want to build".