View Single Post
Old 05-06-2006, 04:51 PM
GB Advanced User

You are talking to a guy that has about 25 vBulletin and 0 IPB licenses. My vote goes to vBulletin.

I liked IPB back when it was free. It was a major contendor to the other free forum, phpBB. However, vBulletin was always the king of the paid forums. It kind of annoyed me when the free forum script decided to go paid. Maybe they needed money and everything, but the price went for the cheapest forum around to the most expensive. It passed vBulletin (which I think was a really bad move).

If you don't have the money, SMF and MyBB stepped up along with phpBB. If you have the money, vBulletin is cheaper. I don't see any features that IPB has that makes it worth getting over vBulletin. vBulletin is just good and cheaper. Plus, vBulletin has a lot of support, themes, and plugins available.

Another thing that really bothers me about IPB is their license plan. vBulletin lets you sell licenses (owned ones) and will verify them before they are sold. IPB quit the verification process. It's like they want you to buy a new one and won't support you unless you buy it from them. That's not the best customer service ever.