Computer Forums

Computer Forums (http://www.geekboards.com/forums/index.php)
-   Linux Chat (http://www.geekboards.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Is CentOS Debian-based? (http://www.geekboards.com/forums/showthread.php?t=701)

DomainerZone 03-10-2006 10:39 PM

Is CentOS Debian-based?

One guy at school keeps talking about how much he hates Fedora Core and how much better Debian-based Linux distros are. Is CentOS debian-based?

Soulwatcher 03-10-2006 11:43 PM

No Centos is a clone of Red Hat Enterprise Linux. RHEL for short. I am sure there is nothing wrong with Debian, but I prefer Centos. I myself would not use Fedora due to its short life span.

Julian 03-12-2006 03:49 AM

How does it have a short life span, Fedora I mean. I read about it but what makes it bad?

Soulwatcher 03-12-2006 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julian
How does it have a short life span, Fedora I mean. I read about it but what makes it bad?

Fedora is Red Hats test bad. The life cycle for Fedora is is 1 year. Then it goes into Legacy and you can get updates for another year. After that you cant get any more upgrades. Fedora is not good for production servers due to its short life cycle.

Julian 03-12-2006 01:21 PM

Ahhh, I see so it is basically like a trial, whereas you have a limited time to use it. Well that is just pointless.

Coop 04-15-2006 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julian
Ahhh, I see so it is basically like a trial, whereas you have a limited time to use it. Well that is just pointless.

mmm, it's actually worse than a trial, redhat have a habit of releasing buggy beta software in that distro, so you are basically a free beta tester. Which is still better than Microsoft, as they now charge you for being a beta tester.

With fedora, you can expect to have several problems per year due to buggy updates. With RHEL or Centos, you can expect to have a problem about every 2-3 years (no distro is perfect).

rmwebs 05-07-2006 07:42 AM

Yes, its worrying to see some hosting companies using Fedora and saying its "the best linux distro for webhosts"...its all about CentOS, Fedora is nothing compared to CentOS

innoshare 07-08-2010 12:24 PM

Depends on what you need - Latest or most stable

I think the selection of Centos vs Fedora is entirely up to utility. If you need to use the latest version of a particular software package (i.e. the latest PostgreSQL for performance reasons or the latest Java distro for testing, the latest SpamAssassin for the latest/greatest SPAM filtering capabilities) Fedora might be your best bet. If you want to run stable versions of popular software and want a long support lifecycle, CentOS is the way to go.

esitenn 09-01-2010 11:53 AM

When we first started doing virtualization with Xen, we used Fedora 8 because it could be hacked to support the latest virtmanager and other tools. Now, CentOS 5.5 has all of the stuff we manually added (albeit over a year after we got our Fedora 8 config running)

jocurileus 10-25-2010 05:46 AM

CentOs is a redhat based linux and I strongly reccomand it for server environment. You can find lots of support from a large and knowledgeable community. It has easy to install packages if you aren't a tech savvy person its just cool :P