Computer Forums

Computer Forums (http://www.geekboards.com/forums/index.php)
-   Computer Help Forum (http://www.geekboards.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Best way to clean a PC (http://www.geekboards.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207)

Eminem 05-03-2006 11:46 AM

Best way to clean a PC

By clean I don't mean physical cleaning. I mean the HD. My PC suddenly slowed down tremendously and I have been taking lots of steps to sort it out...I performed the following tasks:

Registry Cleaner
Spyware Scan
Virus Scan
Cleared History + Cookies

Will do:

Defrag it.
Clear out temp files.

I also used Msconfig to sort out the startup programs...Any other tips will be helpful.

Thanks.

ebittner 05-03-2006 02:27 PM

Delete all downloaded files or put them on disks that will free up memory and speed you should try that.

Eminem 05-03-2006 09:26 PM

Not planning to do that soon. I am at the moment defragging my PC. I did a Error Check on my HD before that which took about 1.5 hours and Defragment will surely take me 5-8 hours. Lets hope it gets better by tomorrow.

Thanks for your suggestion though.

biophase 01-27-2009 04:07 PM

I just reformat and reload. It sucks but it's either that or get a new computer. :)

John 01-27-2009 06:39 PM

I agree with a reinstall being the best method. Sometimes viruses or spyware programs download and install all sorts of hidden junk on your computer.

Better than reinstalling, though, would be to make a backup image of your hard drive after you have everything reinstalled and updated. Then if anything happens that requires a reinstall all you need to do is restore your hard drive from the backup image, which saves a great deal of time. Basically the same as reinstalling but a lot more convenient.

biophase 01-31-2009 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John (Post 7017)
I agree with a reinstall being the best method. Sometimes viruses or spyware programs download and install all sorts of hidden junk on your computer.

Better than reinstalling, though, would be to make a backup image of your hard drive after you have everything reinstalled and updated. Then if anything happens that requires a reinstall all you need to do is restore your hard drive from the backup image, which saves a great deal of time. Basically the same as reinstalling but a lot more convenient.

Definitely make a backup. I just don't want to go Vista so I'm trying real hard so I've been doing this alot with my XP computers to keep them going.

Steven Perry 04-22-2009 01:05 PM

I had a virus attack to my PC and I reinstalled my OS and now it is so slow that I can't get the work done.

Sammy 04-28-2009 01:14 PM

You've done most of the task how to clean up you computer, but try to delete all your temporary download internet files and do clean up your cookies too.

casey 05-20-2009 06:10 PM

still in my system...

This is also bugging my computer. How can I remove totally an old version of msword and other programs? I did all possible remedy but still it's there in my system.:( only a few were removed...huhummmm:mad:

gunther 05-22-2009 03:36 AM

You could run the diskcleanup with CCleaner, its an excellent program. Also defrag your MFT and Page File if required, you may need to get a third party defragger like Diskeeper for that though.
Make sure all Microsoft security updates are applied.

Alwin Allen 05-23-2009 02:21 PM

Often when your PC slowdown, it is because of Virus, to many internet temporary files and cookies, or you to many files in your hard disk. Of course for virus you should have antivirus, for temp files and cookies, you have your windows systems tool for cleaning or you can go to the temp files and delete thefiles there and remove some software installed that is not being used. Good luck

dhawk 05-31-2009 02:30 PM

did you try using spyware remover or cc cleaner?

trade-show-joe 06-01-2009 10:02 AM

Defragging has always helped my computer a lot!
The best is to do a fresh install of your OS (i.e. XP) but you will lose all your settings.
My frustration is that when I use XP to delete all temp files, it doesn't delete all of them! I still find temp files when I do a virus scan.

Katie Kahn 06-03-2009 01:23 PM

Great info

That is great information. This is a very helpful post on cleaning up the hard disk. Thanks for sharing the tips as it has already boosted my computers performance and I have gained even some more free space.

Marim 06-05-2009 09:42 AM

hello to all. i think Tune Up is the best for a Pc hard disk and also the whole system. it is so easier and it make the pc faster an like a Engine

trade-show-marketing 06-19-2009 10:39 AM

Clear your internet temporary cache, and defrag your hard drive. Those two things alone can make a HUGE difference!

Franklin Hulme 06-20-2009 05:29 PM

Go to my My Computer, then select Windows, then select Temp Folder. Delete all the files inside the folders and files inside Temp Folder. To clean cookies and also remove shortcut that are not often used in your desktop.

gowriikav 07-24-2009 12:28 AM

if you feel that the performance of your computer slow downs means do all the task that you mentioned and if the problem still continuous means format your computer and reinstall the software.

bt-t 07-29-2009 04:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gunther (Post 9090)
You could run the diskcleanup with CCleaner, its an excellent program. Also defrag your MFT and Page File if required, you may need to get a third party defragger like Diskeeper for that though.
Make sure all Microsoft security updates are applied.

I did it and it worked perfectly!! I didn't need a thrisd part defragger... Thanks for the tips!! my oc is back to life ;-)

Cas 08-16-2009 09:33 AM

First I run CCleaner's (registry) cleaner.
Then I de-fragment my C disk.
Then I run a disk clean-up.
Then I run CCleaner's (registry) cleaner again.

PuneetJvw 09-04-2009 05:51 AM

What you have done is enough.
If you still dont see results then best is to take a backup and do a format.

regards,
ASHISH THAKKAR

TechGuru9 11-26-2009 12:28 PM

spyware and registry cleaning works , spywares have the highest effect on computer's speed and they really needed to be eliminated

Label Printers 12-04-2009 03:16 AM

I love this Dont keep any of your important docs in your system drive when pc start giving problem format and re install this will clear everything.

pengerik 02-16-2010 12:45 AM

Every computer with windows on it needs a reinstall from time to time - so I normally does it every other year. I normally back up all settings after my first clean install, and installed every program I need - then make a image backup of the disk - and makes a clean install from this every time I need to.. if the program needs have changed since last backup - i then ad the new programs, and make a new image, and this will be installed when I need a new reinstall - next time :) Quick & simple every time!

jaydeee 03-22-2010 08:29 AM

ccleaner will be my best option for this.

lexus 08-15-2010 12:23 PM

Well, the best way is not to infect your computer anyway. Then you don't have the problem about cleaning.

alexgw 08-16-2010 02:27 AM

I uses system clean software like Norton 360 or some freewares which should clean my download details including cookies,cache,browse history, registry error, hard disk fragment issues etc.. doing all by hands is not possible.

Albiem 08-27-2010 03:57 AM

CCleaner is the best software. Try it

Victor 11-16-2010 10:33 PM

Just take a backup of important files and software and format your system. It is the best way to clean.

soccerjerseys 02-03-2012 05:29 AM

Ace utilities would be the best option. I would suggest you to go for it. I am sure it will work for you.

rvtrailers2013 08-02-2013 07:15 AM

just reinstall a new Operating System Windows

sijugk 12-09-2013 10:25 AM

Seems you have done almost everything an average computer user can do to clean and speed up his computer. Except Microsoft services, you can disable all other stratup services on your computer to speed booting time. To disable startup services you can use msconfig
http://www.corenetworkz.com/2010/07/...rams-from.html

Nile Hadwards 12-11-2013 02:55 AM

RE:

Good information. Does anyone know how to remove bad-sector from hard-disk?

DominicXavier 12-16-2013 06:30 AM

Try to reduce the memory of your Hard Disk. Update your anti-virus software.