Computer Forums

Computer Forums (http://www.geekboards.com/forums/index.php)
-   Computer Software Programs (http://www.geekboards.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Do you have a screen saver? (http://www.geekboards.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156)

Eminem 04-23-2006 06:07 PM

Do you have a screen saver?

I do, it's the default that comes with a Toshiba laptop though :p I have heard that not keeping a screensaver somehow helps your computer. Not sure how, but I have heard that it does.

Anyways, do you have a screensaver? If so, what it is? Why do you keep it?

I keep mine because I don't bother changing it and it looks kinda techy which I like :D

Post your thoughts + comments :D

ebittner 04-23-2006 06:14 PM

I do not really have one I just have it set so that after 10 min the screen goes back. I have really never had a use for a screen saver.

sphinx 05-03-2006 01:16 PM

I don't use a screensaver. Just like ebittner, I set my pc to go in stand-by mode after 5 min. For some reason I hate screensavers.

cantstraferight 05-06-2006 06:52 PM

I just use a standard windows screen saver

I did have a matrix screen saver for a while but i must have lost the file after the last reformat of windows.

etali 05-13-2006 09:33 PM

I have a AMD 64 screensaver of a chip flying around inside a PC then busting out of the monitor. Its quite fun to watch.

fab 05-25-2006 09:20 PM

No, I don't use screen saver either. I'm using a Sony LCD for my PC and it goes into stand-by mode after some time. I don't think screen saver really helps while most of us are using LCD now.

Lamer980 09-03-2008 05:19 AM

I use the Folding at Home screensaver, been so for over 5 years now!

DominicXavier 10-21-2008 02:07 AM

Yes I do use screen savers both in my lappy & desktop PC. Screen savers are predefined computer programs that are programmed to prevent burn-in (the burning of an image into the phosphor dots inside the CRT after hours of the same image being rescanned). It also increases the scope time & performance of the monitors.

SamSimon 11-23-2008 04:40 AM

I have a screensaver which I have downloaded from internet
Y I use it is, When I go away from my pc, I will put it on & I have set a password, so others cannot enter into my PC, High SECUREEEE :)

softwarefilt 11-24-2008 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eminem (Post 555)
I do, it's the default that comes with a Toshiba laptop though :p I have heard that not keeping a screensaver somehow helps your computer. Not sure how, but I have heard that it does.

I know you wrote this post two years ago, but if you ever find out if and why a screen saver helps a computer, do let us know!

I haven't used a screen saver in years. Maybe because I've switched computers so many times and forgot about it. Right now though I don't really need one anyway, whenever I'm on the computer I stay on the computer, it's only idle when I log off or shut down.