Computer Forums

Computer Forums (http://www.geekboards.com/forums/index.php)
-   Computer Help Forum (http://www.geekboards.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Windows XP keeps crashing. (http://www.geekboards.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15174)

Hitech 08-03-2010 06:40 AM

Windows XP keeps crashing.

I'm running windows xp service pack 2 and around 12.30 each day it suddenly freezes causing me to reboot the machine. I've tried registry cleaning, de-frag, virus scans and still to no avail. If i do a re-install will i lose my programmes and files etc.

longcall911 08-03-2010 05:38 PM

Re-install of Win XP will be starting from scratch. Yes, you'll lose it all.

When did this start? Did you install a particular program or device? If so, do a system restore. This solves 90% of the problems which are most often driver related.

Also, the 12:30 issue suggests that something is running at that time. Did you check 'scheduled programs'? Some resource hog (like anti-virus) may be running at 12:30 PM instead of AM.

Hitech 08-04-2010 04:00 AM

Thanks for your reply i'll give it all a go and see what happens.

alexgw 10-04-2010 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hitech (Post 23792)
I'm running windows xp service pack 2 and around 12.30 each day it suddenly freezes causing me to reboot the machine. I've tried registry cleaning, de-frag, virus scans and still to no avail. If i do a re-install will i lose my programmes and files etc.

You may check whether any software conflict cause this OS crash. So try to disable newly installed software in your computer and check for the issue. I also recommend you to check whether any dust inside your cabinet. It too can cause short and get your system crashed.

sijugk 10-05-2010 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hitech (Post 23792)

Reinstalling Windows XP will not remove files in your computer. Re-installation will remove all installed programs but file will stay there.

If you do partition in your computer, it will take both programs and files from your computer.

jaydeee 10-16-2010 05:43 AM

there are different types of installation
1. fresh install. installation from a newly formatted hdd
2. repair install. repairing currently installed OS. this will just replace all system files but not your documents and other files.
3. new instance installation. this will install the OS to other folder or partition. it is like new installation without formatting.

installation 2 i think is best for you.

davidmoore 10-24-2010 06:53 PM

suggest you check your scheduled tasks. make sure that there is nothing that will trigger any big application to run during that time.

I would still consider virus. :)

dvdreplication 01-04-2011 04:38 AM

You have to reinstall your windows as well as your partitions. That's the only solution.

soccerjerseys 03-01-2012 05:37 AM

You should try to go with the latest version. I am sure service pack 3 will definitely do the trick for you. Good Luck......